Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, January 17, 2010

De-Stressing for the New Year

In my cupboard at home, I have several cans that says, “Warning: Contents Under Pressure”? Sometimes I feel like I am like those cans and should have a warning label placed on me. The Holmes Stress Scale lists the 100 most stressful events you can have in life – the death of a loved one, a divorce, moving, starting a new job, birth of a child, losing a job, etc. Using that scale, & after much study they have discovered that the single most stressful time of the year is the period between Thanksgiving & New Years. Hello! What kind of brilliant find is that....heck that’s not even news worthy news...I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out. That is why more suicides are committed during that time frame. You have worry overload happening....You worry about presents, you worry about having and attending parties, you worry about all the people you know & definitely worry about paying for the presents that you bought for everyone you work with and even the people you just met. You worry about the "fun family visits" you will have to make....some people really dread seeing the relatives they will have to see during this holiday period....if you don't see them at Thanksgiving...you know you will have to see them at Christmas. All of this is enough to make anyones stress level go up significantly. So...tell me where this “Tis’ the season to be jolly?” I am thinking that it is the season to go into hibernation. But during the holidays...one of the things that we find ourselves wondering is how can we possibly be thankful?....griefus...times are tough. People losing jobs, family members, money, our retirement stakes, college pre paid money...homes, I can't remember a year like 2009 when it was so bleak....of course...I did not live during the depression either. But I did find myself wondering...when Frank lost his job...how can we be thankful? It was right there at Thanksgiving...He was so positive...and I wanted to cry. I kept a stiff upper lip...did a lot of knee time...and God came through. But...I did not survive stress alone. I had help and constant reminding...
in Philippians 4:4-8
I learned in reading this scripture that I am supposed to Worry about nothing.
v.6 “Don’t be anxious about anything. Do not fret or have any anxiety.’Believe you me..for me that is definitely easier said than done! But I discovered...all my
worrying was simply stewing without doing. In Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own.” Jesus is telling me to just focus on today...and not sweat the small stuff. We need to also pray about everything. “In everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (v.6). I used to think, “I don’t have time to pray.” Then I learned you don't always have to close your eyes...you just have to talk to God...I can do that ANYWHERE! Paul says “in everything…present your requests to God.” So that is not just some things, but pray about everything. God interested in every single aspect of my life. The good and the bad...the happy and my head numbered. If it worries me...then it is a God-thing....no matter how big or small. Prayer is a release valve for pressure. I know this for a fact.
In order to relieve the stress it is important that we thank God in all things
v.6b “Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.” (NLT)
Paul says that whenever you pray, pray with thanksgiving. There is an song in the Methodist hymnal that I love...I love it for the bass part that is sung actually....but when I think about it...it is so very true...how many times do we “Count Your Blessings, Name Them One By One." So when I get overwhelmed by life...I pull out my little pad of paper...and list them. Simple as that!
When I Think about the right things...I am better off than when I focus on the negative. The scripture goes on to say: “Finally brothers, whatever I true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.” It is a simple concept..Whatever you put in your brain is what’s going to come out. My mom used to always tell me, "Garbage in, garbage out." I want to be stress free in 2010...so in order to do this...I guess it is time for me to take out the trash!

4 comments:

Trina said...

You had a tough 2009, so 2010 will have to be better.

Hope you're feeling better today.

Anonymous said...

Joe and I escaped from Indiana to Florida and this was our first happy Christmas in our lives. Why? Because people that we only see once a year, looked at the calendar and realized it was time for gifts. Not having to pretend jolly feelings while experiencing misery, gave us the freedom to experience true Christmas peace and joy.

Mary said...

2009 was one for the books, for everyone. I always pick a spiritual goal for the year, and have my sunday school class of teenagers do the same. It's amazing how much joy it brings when you have something to work towards that will only bring you more enlightenment and happiness.

Sweet Tea said...

Hope you have a wonderful 2010. Moving on can be a good thing.