Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Happy Birthday To My Very Own Christmas Carol

Dear Carol,
I thought to day I would write a letter to one of my oldest friends for her birthday and in doing so tell my blog readers(of which she is one) all a little bit about her....and how special she is to me.  She was born on December 24th, 1954.  Her dad said that she was so tiny he could hold her in the palm of his hand.  I met her when we were both 5.  They lived behind our house on the next street.  We had just moved from Georgia Avenue to 1127 El Prado and I never believed that a chance meeting of two small children could change our lives forever.  I had not grown up with children my age.  The only child I had to play with was my younger brother, Dougie and our landlord's grandchildren when they came to visit.  El Prado was a child's paradise.  There were children everywhere.  Carol was so tiny, but what a great friend she became.  They eventually moved two doors down on El Prado and we were inseparable.  We went to Vedado Park kindergarten together, Belvedere Elementary, Conniston Junior High, and finally finished up at Forest Hill High School.  As I sat here to write about "us" I realized that there was just to much for one small blog post.  We have been friends for 55 years and that is a lot of living without writing a book.   West Palm Beach back then was a child's paradise.  We went to the beach, we had rootbeer and small hamburgers at A&W on Southern Blvd.  We traveled together, we played Barbie's, we rode bikes, we had cherry wars with the neighborhood kids, we ate stolen fruit from Mr. Gunnell's yard, we skated at the Gayety, we rode skateboards.....life was carefree.  Growing up with Carol was wonderful. I always felt she was short-changed a bit when we were younger.....since her birthday was on Christmas Eve....and we were out of school....and people would give her a gift and say, "This is for your birthday and Christmas."  I always made sure she had a birthday paper wrapped gift....and one in Christmas paper.  One of the  best parts about growing up in Vedado Park was that our parents were friends.  I cannot imagine a moment when the Geiger's were not involved in something the Sasser's were doing....and vise-versa.  So....many years and many miles between us later....I want to wish my dear friend a Happy 60th birthday!  I know we have not lived near each other in years....but I always knew where you were, how you were, and what you were doing.  Here is to the next 60.  Maybe we can work a New Dawn reunion in that time period....at least before we need walkers.  Thank you for the time you have spent to give me the perfect gift over the years.  Thank you for the cards, letters of encouragement, and letting me be part of your life....even if it is long distance.  God Bless You today and may your birthday be an awesome moment.  Can you believe we are 60?  Where did the 18 year olds go?  Love, K

No comments: