Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Bad Aunt/Good Aunt

I was thinking about my nephew the other day and I feel as if I should share this bad aunt/good aunt story.  I have to admit....I was more the bad aunt....than the good one.  I went baby shower gift shopping with my SIL, Lucy one day.  She wanted something special for Elizabeth's, her step-daughter's, first baby.  The trip down was a nightmare.  Lucy's son Patrick kept taking off his shoes and throwing them in the back seat where Kat and I were sitting. It hurt.  But, I thought I would be a good sport and suck it up. We shopped a good while and I was getting a bit grumpy....I am not a shopper.  I am an in and out kind of shopper.  Lucy finally left her three year old son Patrick in my care while she did some serious shopping.  Patrick began to throw toys out of a bin all over the store.  The saleslady looked very displeased at me.  I must stop and tell you that Patrick was rotten....he always got his way.  I asked him several times to stop and put the toys back, only to find him finding something else to throw around the store.  If he had been my child we would have dealt with this with my attitude adjuster....but he wasn't mine to spank.  Patrick continued and I became very agitated.  Finally, I caught his arm, bent down to his ear, and told him that if he didn't pick up the toys right then I would pinch his head off.  He looked at me....seriously....and began quickly picking up the toys.  The saleslady smiled, I smiled, and Lucy returned to us with her gift in hand.  We shopped at some other stores for about an hour and a half and Patrick never said anything to his mother about the conversation between him and me.  We ate lunch....still nothing.  We finally ended the day and got into the car to go home.  Thirty minutes during the trip home the little fellow burst into tears and told his mom that I said I was going to pinch his head off....I knew I was fixing to catch it from my SIL...but....what ended up happening shocked me and my 6 year old daughter.  My SIL pulled her car off the road and spanked Patrick for lying!  I could have died.  I really thought I should tell her that he was telling the truth.....but the bad aunt in me didn't.....because I knew deep in my heart that he may not have needed THAT particular spanking....but he was LONG overdue for many others.  BTW....Patrick has grown in an amazing man.  Please tell me I am not the only person to ever do something like this!  I would love to hear your story if you have one! 

No comments: