Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Black Thursday

Today is the day I dread the most. It is the day that pink slips and RIF (Reduction in force) announcements are given out. I hate this day....and today is no different than the other 23 of these I have experienced. For a few of those 23 years I experienced the feel of a pink slip first hand. It is one of the most degrading feelings I have ever had. When you already have an issue with low self-exteem....a pink slip is not an ego booster. I worked hard to get my teaching degree....I went to school with three kids, (sometimes in tow - going to summer kids college) and managed an office on the side....many nights I fell asleep studying....and for what? To get a degree....and then be pink slipped. My daughter, Kat was pinked in February. Her system got a jump on the program....her only comment was that the blasted slip of paper was not pink...it was just plain ole white. She was rehired in April....so we can breathe easy for another year. Today, Miss Johnnie, one of our janitors...a real sweetheart...just left my room...she was crying....by the time she left...I was too. Scott, the math teacher next door also was pinked...and I just gave him the names of the Superintendants from surrounding counties and told him to call....now! To top off pink slip day....my principal resigned too. He will be the principal at Valley High next year. I am sad. I have not always agreed with him....but I have respected him and he has always been there for me when I needed to be put back together. He is a sweet and endearing man. Sigh...it is now fourth block and the day is almost over. I am glad...tomorrow I will deal with the aftermath of pink slip day. Tomorrow....in the words of the immortal Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow I'll think of some way . . . after all, tomorrow is another day." Tomorrow is....the school bell will ring, teachers will teach, students will be students, new faces will come in the fall, old faces will be forgotten by some, there will be a new principal....and life will go on. Obla di....obla da!

3 comments:

Trina said...

KK, I am SICK! I truly feel like I could throw up. The sad thing is that we are losing WONDERFUL teachers and staff. The kids are the ones who will suffer.

I've posted about this as well.

Sweet Tea said...

You feel so badly because you genuinely care about other people. Oh that more of us would have empathy for others. There is really is no such thing as "job security" any more. Do we call this progress? Just wondering. I'm thinking tonight should be a 2 Hershey Bar night, GF.

Queenie Jeannie said...

HUGS!!!!

These are really sad times for our country. I'm sorry you lost some good people, but I'm grateful you still have your job.

I hope this weekend is restful for you!