Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, August 16, 2012

New Twist on Breakfast

I am a huge oatmeal fan.  I used to eat it every morning for breakfast...and none of that in a package stuff.  I ate steel cut or Irish oatmeal.  The kind you have to cook for 30 minutes.  Somewhere over the past decade I lost site of oatmeal and when I was so sick back in the spring rediscovered it...because it was all I could keep down.  I especially love it with fruit....blueberries are my favorite.  You can imagine my delight to kind a new twist to my old favorite breakfast food.....oatmeal (and it is good for your cholesterol too).  I had to share this wonderful recipe with you.  It could even be a great dessert.

Blueberry & Raspberry Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (I have used the steel cut and Irish for this)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, divided (I leave these out because I can't have them)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I use egg beaters)
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
1 cup blueberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen, divided

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Spread the sliced bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.
4. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

If you like oatmeal...you will love this.  If you have not had oatmeal in a while you might begin to like it again.  I promise you this is a great recipe.

5 comments:

Dana said...

Sounds delicious! Thanks. :)

Jerralea said...

This looks really good, Karen. I bet you could make it ahead and warm up in the microwave in the mornings, too.

Blueberries and bananas are my favorites!

Sweet Tea said...

I am so hungry right now and that recipe sounds wonderful. I need to print this. YUM!!

Nonnie said...

That sounds really good, although I never liked oatmeal until recently. I like to cook the Irish oatmeal and put in lots of butter, brown sugar, raisins and walnuts. Yummm. I never thought about fruit in oatmeal (MY oatmeal, that is,
;-). Thanks.

Rebecca D said...

This sounds so good! I nominated you for a blog award on my blog... http://highmaintenanceaspirations.blogspot.com/2012/08/another-award-yippee.html