Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, February 17, 2008

3 points of a sermon

Today, while I sat in the pew at Waverly United Methodist....being the good preacher's wife....my darling husband Frank delivered one of his best sermons ever! He made three points...we are told in Mark 8....to 1. deny ourselves....oh...I gave up french fries for Lent....so I am looking for other things to put ketchup on....but...he was talking about letting God have control....you know...Let Go...and Let God. I thought long and hard about his first point....do I really let God be the boss.....ALWAYS? I have to answer ashamedly....no. I am well versed in the Frank Sinatra song...."My Way" and try many times to do things...my way. When I fail...I fall on my knees and ask for help.....hum....it would be so much easier....to just ask for help from the start. 2. The second point was to take up YOUR cross. It does not say....his, or your next door neighbors...or anybody elses.....it says your cross. So I asked myself...what is my cross? I thought about all the irregularities in my life....my parents living with me....life changes....I'm divorced....lots of crosses to bear....but the most wonderful thing...is that....when Jesus took up his cross....He died on it for me. 3. Follow me is the last command. It does not tell us....to take a vacation with Him....it tells us to live a life like His...doing His work....being His disciple...Casting Crowns sings a song called "If We Are the Body"....and it asks the question....if we are the body....then why aren't His arms reaching....why aren't His words teaching.....so I leave you with this today......Why? I know the answer after hearing Frank today...it is because we are not denying ourselves, taking up Our crosses and Not following Him as we should be. Go Forth All Who read this....and spread the word....God is Love!

No comments: