Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, February 15, 2008

Kathryn-Age 3

My daughter Kathryn has several pet names I gave to her as a child. She was also known as Munchkin because she was so tiny and Rosebud....and I won't go there with an explanation. Anyways....when my kids were small I kept Little Debbie products in an antique Tom's jar on top of my refrigerator. I was smocking this particular afternoon....and don't know if my older two children put her up to her feat....or if she did it on her own....but she got very quiet....so I got up from my sewing to check on her. I found her in the kitchen.....with a chair next to the cabinets....and cook books stacked on the cabinet....next to the fridge....and there in her hand....was a Little Debbie oatmeal cookie. I did not want to frighten her.....because she might fall and hurt herself....something she had managed to avoid to this point. She climbed off the books....and turned around to go down the chair....when she realized she was being watched. She turned very slowly.....held out her little munchkin hand...full of cookie....and said, " I got this for you!" I smiled inside...and sternly asked her...."How did you know I wanted a cookie?" She just shrugged. I took the cookie from her....opened it....slowly....with great anticipation....and ate every bite. She watched and waited....just knowing I was going to share....when I didn't offer some of the sweet to her....realization splattered all over her little sweet face. I licked my fingers....told her thanks....and helped her down. She never tried that stunt again. As a much older person....I realize that many time God catches me with my hand in the cookie jar....when I try to cover my way out of my sin....Hetakes the cookie(sin) from me....and gobbles it up....that is what He did for me....when His son was crucified on the cross. Jesus Christ took that cookie from me....and gave me the greatest gift of salvation. Poor Kathryn....she did not get a gift....she worked for the cookie....and I ate it! I will never look at an oatmeal cookie again...without smiling....and thanking my munchkin for the object lesson. It is better to give....than to receive. Oh, that was not what she was trying to do....but that was what was accomplished. Even today....24 years later....she is still teaching me lessons....about life....about myself....and about God. Thanks munchkin!

No comments: