Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, February 1, 2008

The Hats I Wear

I wear a number of hats throughout my day. I wake up in the morning and put on my teacher hat. With that hat and all the intelligence that is in it I go to school to impart wisdom in the lives of high schoolers. Somedays my teacher hat is clean and neat and full of good stuff. Other days, like today...it is a little droopy and clouded by a cold. While at school I wear the hat of a friend and hug people who are having a bad day, listen to stories from the hurting, rejoice in my friends accomplishments, and sometimes I am even jealous when they achieve something I cannot seem to achieve....but all in all I love wearing this hat. During the school day I also wear a counselor hat....even though I don't have degree in counseling....the kids tell me their deepest and darkest secrets and I sometimes have to help them sort out their problems.
After school I put on the wife hat most days and go home and cook supper and do wifey type things. I wash, I iron, I clean....I would rather take a power nap. Two nights a week I don the adjunct hat and teach English at CACC. I usually love this hat...but am struggling with it right now. This hat is not fitting well this term. It is a bit tight. I have several students who are making my hat tight and I am a little angry because they are there....especially since I am only part time. I think it would be different if I had regular office hours....but I don't. So I will just plug along with this hat....and maybe take it off for the summer.
Weds. nights I put on my singer hat. I love to sing. I sing on Sunday's at the Arbor service and love it. I usually get a joyful feeling after Weds. night and go home ready to tackle the world. Singing can do that for me.
Some nights I put on my Still Magnolia big girl hat...and I really love that. I sing with two other women I absolutely adore. We have so much fun singing together. I can't imagine life without them in it.
I have a mother hat too. I love that hat. It is by far one of my favorites. All my children are gone from home now....but I still wear the hat. They call when they need a shoulder....or just want to talk....and I love hearing from them.
Hats are fun and everyone should have them. I like changing mine throughout the day and becoming something different....it is kind of like slipping into a phone booth and becoming Superman. You never know which hat I am going to show up in.
My suggestion to you this glorious Friday is to go out and find yourself some hats...try them on....keep the ones that fit....trade in the ones that don't. There are always people looking for a bargain in a hat.

No comments: