Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Mark of a True Friend

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." - unknown

In my life I have many degrees of friends. I have friends who have passed through my life during some event....like high school, college, raising kids, Boy Scouts, sports, etc... and I have had friends who have only been my friends a short while....yet it seems like they have always been there. I have a friend that I have known for over 40 years and we only see each other about once a year....yet when we are together....it is like no time has passed. We pick right up where we left off. She is like a comfortable shoe...and I know (and hope she does too) that no matter what happens....she is as close as a phone. I have work friends, church friends, music friends, singing friends, they come in all sizes and shapes.....but they are my friends and that is what makes them special to me.

At work, I have friends that I sing for, have coffee with, hug when they need it, blog with, and run around with. I read books they recommend, I drink coffee they suggest, I eat sugar cookies and tea cakes they make, I love these guys. They are good friends.

I have friends at church that I attend Sunday School with, raised children with, shared hurts and joys with, sing with, attend Bible Studies with (some of them know so much about me....that if they ever became not my friend I would have to kill them....just kidding). I have a special group I even did Beth Moore's Breaking Free with and shared stuff....I didn't even know myself. I have some friends there who know that if anything ever happens to Frank....they are to NEVER let me get married again.....and they will follow through....I know this. I also know I can call many of them....at any time of the night or day....and they will pray for me....hold me....help me however they can. There is a very special group....called the Praise Band....that is a group of friends that are almost like family.....we have been together for ten years and there is a bond there that is so very strong. I love them all. Rhonda and Rita are my special friends. I feel like family with both of them. I know they will pray for me....and that they love me....and I them....Rhonda's mom died Jan. 2nd....and her one request of us at the hospital was to bring her mom back....if I could have....I would have moved heaven and earth to do that for her....THAT is what a friend is....you see....I do know Rhonda's song....and while she is hurting....I will keep singing it for her.....til she can sing it on her own.

I have friends from my days in Florida. I still stay in contact with them....and am close....yet know we are different....because we have walked different paths. It is ok....and they are still friends....just a different kind.

I have several friends that I love like family. One of them I refer to as my sister from another mother....she grew up as a military brat....I was a native Floridian....but the commonalities in our lives are interesting. I actually kind of favor her sister....in a strange sort of way. She is my soulmate for sure. I have two singing partners I love like family....heck...one of them is family....she is my first cousin....but more like my sister.....we have a history.....her dad...and my brother died the same year....so she and her sisters became my siblings....and my dad....filled in the void for her missing father. Rebecca....just fit right into my life. She is a dear sweet person and I have loved sharing paths with her for the past several years. I can't imagine life without these people in it.

My daughter Kathryn is my friend. I can't imagine life without her in it. She can make my darkest day seem like a dream. Music is important in our lives....one of my biggest kicks is to be listening to the radio and call her when the song "The Mighty Quinn" comes on.....just as it gets to the part...."but when Quinn the Eskimo gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy." We both will giggle like school girls....tell each other we love the other....and the conversation ends.....now to me....that is the mark of a true friend.....someone you can be idiotic with. I have made many trips with Kat and her husband Brian and remember every detail....they were awesome trips....and again....music was a key element. When I lose my song.....Kat knows exactly where I left off....and if she doesn't....if it is a Whitney Houston song....Brian has my back. Talk about friends....how lucky to not only love your child....but like her too!

My life has a lot of music in it....so the quote using friends and songs....seemed like a perfect fit for me. I have those kinds of friends. I am a fortunate one. I have people in my life....who will not let me stuggle alone...they will be there to pick up my pieces and sing my song back to me.....when I can't remember how it went.....that is friendship.....that is a blessing!

No comments: