Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ode to Edna Rivers Duggar

I was part of the Sunbelt Writers Project during the summer of 1992. It seems like a bizzillion years ago....and I guess in the grand scheme of things it was. It has been 17 years. I was cleaning out a closet at school and found our complilation of writings. Several of mine made me smile....a couple made me laugh out loud....but the following one....left me feeling odd. I wrote about a lady in the cemetary, from the information on her tombstone....someone I never met....and yet...I hope someday someone will be able to speak so of me.


Edna Rivers Duggar

Poet-Author-Artist


My life was like a book, each day a different page. The daily doings that I lived were my expressions found in my poetry and my canvas creations.


I met my husband in Auburn. We were both just starting out. We courted through our education, burning our candles at both ends. We married soon after graduation and began our life's journey together. I vowed to stay his wife until death....and death had the final say.


My life was so full of love and beauty that I couldn't keep it all inside so I started to write it all down and share it. A friend once read a poem I had written for my child. We sent it off to New York and a reluctant author I became. I put my whole life on canvas and page. I bared my sould for all to see.


At my death lives a legacy, left inside my friends, the book and the painting. They made my life full.

2 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

An "Ode".
I haven't read an "Ode" in who-knows-when??!! Good job Miss Magnolia. Edna would be proud!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I think that is an amazing interpretation. I am sure she would be overjoyed.