Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, September 3, 2010

On Being Southern....or God Bless the Northerners

Early this morning I was checking in on facebook, something I have not been really good about doing since school started, when I found the greatest video I have ever seen.  I love Bill Cosby, his Noah skit and his skit on Dad fixing breakfast are my two most favorite....but this one kills them all.  I was born in South Florida....technically it is the southern most part of the South.....but it is not really a southern state....nope.  I grew up with northerners....I thought I was one....and sounds like someone from the midwest because of it.  My neighbors were from places like Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Cuba, Ohio, Queens, the Bronx and upstate New York.  My parents were from Alabama....but after living with other dialects for so long....and having a good linguistic ear....I sound like a man without a country.  Several years ago, I studied Cervantes in Washington State and the staff and fellow students were disappointed when I should up with no southern drawl....sigh!  Sorry guys.  I live in the South now and love the sound of the lilt a true southern drawl makes.  It is such a syrupy sound...and really pretty.....BUT...that leads me to my post today.  I lived in a town called Alexander City....and a government plane crashed here several years ago....and who did they interview????  You guessed it...a man with very few teeth that sounded like a bad rendition of Ray Stevens and the man in the Streak!  It never fails....when news happens in the South....those are the people who make national news.  Why?????  There are plenty of highly educated people here....where are THEY when major disasters happen????  No wonder northerners find southerners so amusing.  Well....this morning as I was checking facebook out....there it was...two video clips by Bill Cosby....and bless his humorous heart...he was trying so hard to understand the lady from North, South Carolina.  It was a scream...so I figured I would give you a good laugh to kick off your Friday...and your holiday weekend! I hope you enjoy them.  Have a Fabulous Friday!

No comments: