Welcome to the weekly Wednesday Hodgepodge...add your link at the bottom of Joyce’s post and come join the party. Here are my answers for week 51:
1. Who taught you how to cook?
Both of my parents. I got my basic knowledge from my mom….she followed recipes as they were written. I got my spirit of cooking adventure from my dad….you could always add something not on the recipe.
2. Have you been told you think too much? Are too much of a perfectionist? Are too sensitive? Were they right?
I do over-think sometimes. I am NOT a perfectionist. I like things done right…but sometimes that just isn’t going to happen. I am sensitive sometimes. I got my feelings hurt Sunday night over the stupidest thing. We ate at the Baptist church…I took apple/cranberry crisp…put it in a prominent place so it would be tried….and when we went to eat it had been moved to the very end of the table and not many even tried it. I got over it though.
3. As a child did you have a favorite blanket or toy? Tell about it.
My Shirley Temple doll and thank goodness my mom let me actually play with her and not keep her on a shelf in a box. I loved singing her songs when I played with her. I still have her…she looks terrible.
4. What 'institution' do you have the most faith in?
I have to agree with Joyce and say in spite of what the Kardashians would say I'm going with marriage. Someone remind me again why they're famous? What made them famous? Come on people….quit watching them and stop the insanity….I mean 72 days?
5. Chrysanthemums, pansies, burning bush, ornamental cabbage...your favorite in an autumn garden?
Mums and pansies for sure. I love the colors of both.
6. What superpower do the kids in your neighborhood seem to posses?
I don’t live in a neighborhood and the kids around me ride horses and four wheelers. They play pee wee football….I don’t really see any superpowers here.
7. Are you a fan of the cranberry?
Oh yes! It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce/relish. I drink it, I make other things with it. I eat it all through the year. I love cranberries. I made an apple cranberry crisp Sunday night and believe me….had some left-overs last night with some vanilla ice cream and it rocked! I loved it so much I thought I would share my recipe with you.
• 2 cups cranberries (I used dried cranberries and they plumped so lovely)
• 3 cups sliced peeled apples (about 6)
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 1 cup quick cooking oats
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Combine cranberries, apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and salt; turn into a shallow, buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Combine brown sugar, oats, and flour. cut in butter. Spoon over cranberry-apple mixture. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until topping is crispy and fruit is tender. Serve with Vanilla ice cream (optional).
8. Insert your own random thought here. Cornbread dressing or stuffing…which is your favorite?
Mine is stuffing. I love the seasoning and added goodies in stuffing. My mom used to make oyster stuffing or pecan cranberry stuffing…and even today when I get on a stuffing kick….I will even by Stove Top stuffing and make it. I love the seasoning taste. How about you? Have a great week.