Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, November 11, 2011

Salute for Veteran's Day!


I, like many Americans have in the past mistakenly believed that Veterans Day was a day America set aside to honor American military personnel who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained from combat. I was in high school before I realized that that was not quite true. Memorial Day is the day set aside to honor America's war dead. Veterans Day honors ALL American veterans, both living and  dead. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country. November 11 of each year is the day that we ensure veterans know that we deeply appreciate the sacrifices they have made in the lives to keep our country free.  Our son-in-law Stephen and nephew, Edwin, are two of those special individuals who have that job.  Edwin is supposed to deploy soon and both men have been many times.  I don't know about you....but I sleep better knowing that they are doing their jobs.  I salute both of my special guys today.....and all the other ones out there who are related to many of my readers.

I come from a family of veterans.  Many of the men in my family have fought during WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm, and continuing today.  All branches of the military are represented in my family.  Frank and my father were both Navy, Stephen is Air Force, Edwin is Army.  I have uncles and cousins who served in all of them.  I am an American and I think these guys deserve to be honored today.  I will never forget one of the most memorable moments in my life was in Italy.  We stood in an airport in tunnel shape while a troop walked through us heading back to Afghanistan.  There was not a dry eye in the house and we applauded until the last person was on the plain.  It was amazing.  Yep, Veteran's Day is a special day for me.  It is a day when my heart is full and I want to hug every single veteran I can find.
Ok, so you have your chance....Veterans Day is here once again.  On this special day we need to pay tribute to those brave men and women who have selflessly served their country.  For those of us who have never actually been in the military, it’s rather easy for us to forget just why it is we should revere those who have chosen to answer to the call of the armed forces.  However, just as Veterans upheld their duty to protect and defend our country, we must uphold the responsibility of honoring and respecting them.  To do so may require an understand of just what a Veteran represents and what they have done.  However, there is no set archetype that defines just what it is to be a Veteran.  They come in all shapes, sizes, races, religions and genders.  In fact such descriptions are totally irrelevant.  What truly characterizes these brave souls goes much deeper and is far more significant.
It is something in their heart and soul.  They are who they are and we can sleep in peace tonight because they do what they do.  To all Veteran's today, Thank You!
Have you ever seen one of our military walking past you and wanted to convey to them your thanks, but weren't sure how or it felt awkward? 
Recently, a gentleman from Seattle created a gesture which could be used and has started a movement to get the word out. Please everybody take just a moment to watch.... The Gratitude Campaign; .......and then forward it to your friends! THEN START USING THE SIGN. 

CLICK HERE
 
http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/shortmovie.php Please pass it on! 
Happy Veteran's Day!


1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Beautiful post. I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. The Gratitude Campaign is a lovely project. Thank you for sharing it with me.