Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hi Oh Silver Go Away!

Frank and I went to see The Lone Ranger on Monday afternoon in LaGrange.  It was our date time.  I am a product of the original story that featured Jay Silverheels as Tonto and Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger so to say the least I was skeptical about the movie.  I loved the television series I grew up with.  In Hollywood there will be much debate and hand-wringing over the relative box office failure of Disney’s The Lone Ranger over this past July 4th weekend. The film grossed $48 million over its first five days in America, along with around $24 million in limited overseas release. The pattern for July 4th debuts is generally around 2x their respective long weekend totals, which gives The Lone Ranger around $100 million domestic and that is not good.  The movie starts out in 1933 with a little masked boy going into the Wild West Show at a fair.  He meets a very old Tonto and the story begins.   I liked some of the movie.  I loved Saginaw Grant.  The Lone Ranger should have been called Tonto (which means fool in Spanish) and Johnny Depp as Tonto made Jay Silverheels character, Tonto,  look bad.  I hate that the movie fell flat.  To be honest the movie was way too long and did not have enough action to keep your attention.  The slaughter of the Indians  scene(x2) could have been left out and so could the heart eating bad guy.  That was just plain nasty.  I managed to stay awake through the whole movie....Frank on the other hand drifted into several boredom induced comas (aka naps).  It was an ok movie....you know....glad you came to see it....don't want to see it again....and heaven forbid do not want to ever own it.  If I could purchase a DVD of The Lone Ranger it would be the series....even as a B grade Western it was better than this.  I did enjoy how throughout the movie they came back to the little masked buckaroo at the fair with old Tonto....explaining the storyline.  Sometimes you just can't improve on things....this is one of those times.  If you haven't seen it....wait til it comes out on a movie channel or netflix....or rent it from Red Box.  Don't spend the 20.00+ dollars(ticket, popcorn, coke) to see it at the theater.  If you just have to go to the theater....see it as a matinee.  That way you won't feel so bad for wasting the money.

No comments: