Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, July 12, 2013

This Is The Present. How Will You Use It?

On Friday's I participate in a meme called Five Minute Friday.  I love it.  It is a time when I can freewrite for five whole minutes and not have to worry about grammar, punctuation....nothing.  I just write.  Lisa Jo Baker and friends are the hosts.  If you want to participate you can. 
Now, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right. 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on:::
 
Present…
The word present is a funny word.  it has a variety of meanings.  It can mean 1. being, existing or occurring at this time or now; current: the present ruler. 2. at this time; at hand; immediate: articles for present use. 3.  a gift; 4. being with one or others or in the specified or understood place: to be present at the wedding. 5. being here: Is everyone present?  6.  to endow with a gift; 7.to introduce to the public; 8.  to hand over to someone....and the list goes on.  It really depends on which form of pronunciation you chose to take.  These are my bow head girls.  They were presents from God to me.  Jill's birthday is June 4 and Kat's is June 23rd.  For their entire growing up years we celebrated their birthday's together and they always had a picture made wearing the bows from their presents.  This was the last one made.  I sit here in the present thinking back on the past when my children were growing up.  Every day we spent together was the present and who would have ever known that they would become the past so quickly.  I remember so many times in my life when the word "present" has taken on multiple meanings.  I was present on a warm and balmy June evening in South Florida when they presented me with my high school diploma.  When we married we were given presents by friends and family that would come in useful in our new life together.  When I had Kat I was given presents for the baby.  Frank and I were presented an award for knowing the most about each other in a Valentines competition between four pastors and their wives Oldy Wed Game.  Each Sunday I would present a Sunday School lesson to my class at Rock Mills UMC and now I present a message to my own congregation at Midway (Wedowee).  I love to get presents and on my birthday the Porch People had a surprise party and presented me with a cake and a host of presents.  It made me smile.  Only for today is this the present.  Frank will leave for class around lunch time and I will be alone.  Tomorrow night he will come home....and tomorrow will be the present....that is until the day after tomorrow is. Frank has used a quote while preaching several times that really sums up the word "present" for me.  “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the present.”  I think that pretty much sums up life.  We have experienced the past and it is part of our life puzzle.  We are not guaranteed tomorrow....The art of life is to live in the present moment, and to make that moment as perfect as we can by the realization that we are the instruments and expression of God Himself.  Can I get an amen this morning?

No comments: