Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye 2013

A good friend of mine, Kristi, posted a letter on her Facebook page today and after reading it I felt I needed to see my own year out with this same kind of thing so here it is:
Dearest 2013,
You are about to end with a lot of people reflecting upon you. You have provided me lmuch laughter, many smiles(both mine and others), a ton of hugs, a river full of tears and enough challenges to make me strong. You were tough at times when I did not want to experience tough, but beautiful at other times when I seemed to need it most.
Early in the year I experienced another bout of ulcerative colitis, but beat it again.
I turned 59 in April.  Frank turned 56 in May.
In May we went to Panama City Beach with some of the Porch People and I fell.  How could I have missed a bright yellow speed bump.  I tore up my knees, palms, and face....and broke my glasses....but survived.  The good thing about the trip was that Frank and I got to see his daughter, Amy, and her daughter/our granddaughter, Amelia.  We were thrilled to see both of them.  I wish it had gone better than it did....but maybe 2014 will see another step.  Frank baptized Jett at the beach.  It was a surprise for the grandparents and a beautiful moment filled with happy tears. 
God called me to be a preacher in May, and in June I talked with the District Superintendent about being available if needed.  All the appointments had been filled, but I figured it was going to be a God Thing and it was.  The last Sunday in June I became the pastor of Midway UMC in Wedowee.  I love my congregation and know I am where God meant for me to be. 
In June Frank's nephew got married and we attended the wedding in Charleston.  It was good seeing old friends again.  I got to see one of my oldest (not agewise) friends, Carol, who now lives there and enjoyed spending time with she and her husband, Jeff.  Carol and I have been friends since we were five.  When we moved to El Prado they lived behind us.  Eventually they moved two doors down.  We started kindergarten together and graduated from high school together.
School brought some changes in August.  I was given a new prep.  I am now teaching a class of English 11.  Something I have not done in years. 
My precious Jett turned one the last of September and on that same day his mom was airlifted to Birmingham in labor with his twin sisters.....way too early.  The girls were born on October 1st.  They became our miracles.  Two tiny ones born at 22 weeks gestation were not given much of chance....yet they were such little tiny fighters.
The first week in October, during fall break, Frank and I went to visit our dear friends, Chuck and Sue in Knoxville.  Susan and I have been friends since we were five.  We started kindergarten together at Vedado Park and graduated from high school together.  We have been friends almost 55 years.  It was a wonderful visit as always.
Frank's aunt Kay passed away and we were unable to attend the funeral because it was on a Sunday and we both preach now. 
My friend and singing partner, Rebecca's husband, Stan died and it was a sad time in Still Magnolia world.
Frank and I went to the Hogansville Hummingbird Festival and to Christmas Village in Birmingham.  We are thinking about doing a few of these to showcase....and sell....Frank's scroll saw work.
We went to Panama City Beach again for Thanksgiving with my family.  Once again I found myself falling.  I actually slipped on ice and blew out a Baker's cyst in my knee, cracked my tailbone, pulled a mastoid muscle in my neck and had a bit of a knot on my head.  I was taking a sunrise picture, moved one more step and that was my downfall....literally.  I love my family! They are always there to love me and to give me a swift kick in the butt when needed! I missed a few days of work because I was flat on my back with my knee elevated.  I returned to work on Weds., worked half a day on Thursday and then went to an AEA Representative Assembly in Birmingham.
 I prepared all year for my daughter's leaving to go to Moldova as a missionary for Phillip Cameron Ministries and Stella's Voice.  I was delighted when I found out she and Brian would not be leaving until summer. 
December was a tough month.  Kash, one of the twins, was not going to make it.  Frank and I were there the day she left us.  It was a blessing, yet bittersweet.  Her funeral was on the 29th of December.  I just could not get in the Christmas spirit because of this.  She was such a part of our lives.  Sister, Kruze is doing wonderful.  She has been moved into a real crib and finally wearing preemie clothes (they were wearing Build a Bear tiny outfits).  I had my first pastor mentor meeting.  I will meet with the District Board of Ministers in January for the big interview.  Can you say nervous?
So here I am on the 31st.  We have lost loved ones, welcomed new babies into the world, traveled, suffered illnesses, had life changing events, spent time with family and friends, enjoyed each other, and I have written. 
 
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o’ lang syne!
Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne,
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet
For auld lang syne!
 
2014 is around the corner. I'll look back at you 2013 with a smile. I am hoping that 2014 brings the end to my mom's estate, stuff sold, house sold, and no more link to Kellyton except for the people I love who live there.  God has blessed me richly! I have been given a 365 page book to write for 2014.  I hope it will be a best-seller. 
In Him,
Karen
 

No comments: