Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, March 29, 2014

God's Not Dead

 
 
We went to Knoxville on Monday for a few days away during Spring Break.  Both Frank and I had been wanting to see the new movie, "God Is Not Dead," but just had not found the time.  On Tuesday Chuck, Susan, Frank and I hit the Tuesday matinee and had 2.00 popcorn and cokes (refillable).  Susan and I got there ahead of the guys so we got to enjoy all the previews and trivia stuff that they show before the movie begins.  Not long after the guys arrived the room grew much dimmer and the screen parted as far as it could and we waited breathlessly for the movie to begin....and begin it did.  I remember when I was a freshman in college....and I thought I was a devout Christian....but I am not sure I could have done what Josh Wheaton (the main character) did. 
You see, present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton(played by Spencer from Good Luck Charlie), finds his faith challenged on his very first day of Philosophy class(I remember taking Philosophy and I remember how dogmatic my professor was....it must be a Philosphy thing) by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson(played by Kevin Sorbo). Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words "God Is Dead" on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh finds himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that "God Is Dead," he must prove God's existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God's existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals. With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes. Can he actually prove the existence of God?  It amazed me as the story progressed and young Josh finds his life shaking to its core....but his passion for God burning out of control.  There are several lives that are touched in this movie and I do not want to blow the movie for anyone.  I will say....if you are going for an action packed movie....you won't find it here.  The movie is a bit slow at times....but you cannot leave this movie and say it did not touch your life in some way.  If you get a chance....go see it....take a friend.....take a non-believer....it may make a difference.  You will leave knowing in your heart that God's Not Dead

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was a great movie and story.