Thank you for joining the party here every Wednesday. It's a day brightener for sure, and always fun to see all the many directions people run with their answers. Please don't miss next week's HP, because Joyce has a special little giveaway planned in honor of our 200th Wednesday Hodgepodge.
Feeling especially grateful today for the way words connect people. Happy Thanksgiving!
1. Besides U.S. Thanksgiving, it's also National Game and Puzzle Week...what game have you played most recently, and who were you with? Have you worked a puzzle of any kind in the past week? I do jigsaw puzzles every day on my IPad and love it. Frank and I compete for time completed. I usually win. We play Mexican Train dominoes often with friends. We are all highly competitive so it makes for an exciting evening.
2. What is one place you were thankful for this year? I was thankful for the beach this year. There was something very relaxing about hearing the waves roll in and being with good friends.
3. Take a nap, watch football, go for an after dinner walk, or hit the stores...which ONE is on your must-do list for Thanksgiving day? For those of you playing along who aren't in the US, answer as it relates to any big holiday meal. We will be sharing a meal with about 50 family members and then traveling to Knoxville to spend time with two of my oldest and dearest friends. I do NOT shop on Thanksgiving and wish stores would not open until midnight like it used to be. I believe salespeople should be allowed to stay home and enjoy their families. The Auburn vs Alabama game will be the highlight of Saturday and the Macy's Parade will be on too.
4. Besides Thanksgiving, what's your favorite home cooked meal? Beef Stew, soups, mac and cheese. Not together. I love the comfort provided by these three things....if you add bread pudding with praline sauce I am in heaven.
5. What product from an infomercial would you most like to own? The green frying pan but you can get it from an As Seen on TV store....or Walmart if you are lucky.
6. Christmas shopping? Have you begun? Finished? Will you shop on Black Friday? How do you feel about stores opening on Thanksgiving Day? What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done online? I am finished....Frank still has some initials to make for me to give as gifts. I will not shop on Black Friday and I hate the fact that stores are opening on Thanksgiving Day. This year I did a good bit...50% of my shopping on line.
7. What are you most grateful for that adds beauty to your everyday life? The ride I have down Co. Rd 15 from RCHS to Wadley High. There are several old churches, beautiful trees, some old barns, an abundance of wild life. I have seen several hawks, a fox, and a fawn. I also love crossing the Tallapoosa River. There are turtles that sit on logs and it is just gorgeous.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Just a thought....Everything happens for a reason. So often we wonder about the "whys" in life....."Why did this happen?" "Why me?" "Why now?" But there is a secret that wise men know...Bumps in the road are an inevitable part of life that soften us, make us grow, and bestow upon us the virtue of compassion. Often it is only with the passing of time that it becomes clear that the could really did have a silver lining, and now we have wisdom, strength, and hope to share. And at last we understand the true meaning of the phrase "Everything happens for a reason."