Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

In A Hodge Podge State Of Mind

Hello fellow Hodgepodgers! So glad you stopped by here today. If you've answered the questions add your link by clicking here and heading over to Joyce's blog, then run say hi to the neighbors. Here we go-


 1. Did you do anything 'memorable' this past weekend?  We had a Memorial/Homecoming service at my church.  We usually have somewhere between 40-50 people at church, but Sunday we had 152.  It was awesome. 
 2. Ronald Reagan is quoted as saying-  "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."  Your thoughts? Do you somehow acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms you enjoy? Did your upbringing contribute to that sense of appreciation? If you're a parent, are there specific things you do to pass on this sense of responsibility and appreciation to your own children in regard to the freedoms they enjoy?  I, like Joyce, try to acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms I enjoy.  I think it's good we have some days on the calendar to remind us too. I try to speak to service men and women when I see them and tell them "Thank you", I support troops and their families in my prayers, and they are permanently on our prayer list at church. My heart is full of love and gratitude for the brave souls who protect and defend this land I love.  My upbringing most definitely contributed to my sense of patriotism. My father served in the Navy during WWII.  I have sung at many patriotic programs and it always makes my heart swell to be a part of such a proud event.   As a parent I have tried to instill in my children a love of country. We've traveled a lot, have made a conscious effort to soak up the history where ever we are, and to appreciate the staggering natural beauty and differences in food and culture you find from region to region in the US.  I've taught them to be respectful of the flag and to recognize that while there will always be things we can do better, there is much we do right here in the US of A. To be proud of America. Thanks for the powerful words Joyce.
3. Loudest noise you've ever heard?  Fireworks on the Mall in Washington, D.C.  As the band played...."and the rockets red glare..." standing with my friend, Mary, there was cannon fire, and it was deafening.  I stood in the crowd singing...with my hand on my heart, chills running down my spine, and tears running down my face.  4. What was the last thing you ate that might be considered 'junk food'? Did you enjoy it?  I ate some chips with onion soup dip yesterday for lunch.  Was it good? Yes!
5. When was the last time you were somewhere the crowd felt 'packed in like sardines'?  This is a situation I try my best to avoid.  I am terribly claustrophobic.  This situation causes me to have panic attacks. 
6. Are you organized when it comes to packing for a trip? Do you make a list weeks in advance or toss items in last minute? Are you a carry-on only sort of packer or do you need an entire suitcase for your shoes?  I am a packing fool.  Packing is part of the fun for me.  I feel like once the packing begins the trip is at hand.  I do pack and make lists in advance.  I am a carry on packer and actually went to Europe for 10 days with one carry on.  
7. What was the last sporting event you attended in person? Did your team win? Did you care?
We attended a girls softball game for the high school where I teach.  It was a tournament and our girls finished in second place. 
8. Insert your own random thought here.  Do you plant a garden?  I love the taste of garden grown tomatoes.   Frank and I planted a couple of tomato plants, a hill of squash, cucumbers, and zuchinni the other evening.  I also potted some herbs for seasoning and fragrance.  I love the smell of spearmint, lavender, rosemary, and peppermint..  We had a glorious rain for the next three days.  I can't wait for the fruits of our labor. 

2 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a great turnout you had! I would love to see those fireworks in Washington D.C. Sounds like me, I made the soup onion dip, it is my favorite only I use have Fage Greek yogurt now when I make it. You can't tell the difference. We have two tomato plants this year. We have had 4 tomatoes so far and the one bush which is Roma Tomatoes is loaded right now and they are so cute in their oval shape.

Cranberry Morning said...

I think it's so funny that most of us have eaten junk food recently, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it! Lol