Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Summertime And Hodgepodging is Easy

Welcome to another edition of the weekly Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then add your link to Joyce's blog IF you've played along. The first three questions are a tad heavy for early July, but sometimes that's how we roll. Okay here we go-


1. When did you last 'swim against the tide'?
At Panama City two years ago if I take the question literally. I am not one who does it naturally where life issues exist.  When a conversation arises that I am not comfortable with...I get quiet.  It is easier to swim against the tide when you are not alone or with a group of people who feel like you do. 
2. What's the last self-help or self-improvement book you read?  There's a Woman in the Pulpit.  I am almost finished with it and it is for pastor women who fill a pulpit many people feel only men should fill. 
3. "Tolerance is a tremendous virtue, but the immediate neighbors of tolerance are apathy and weakness." (Sir James Goldsmith)  Agree or disagree? Discuss. With civility please, because i think we have a good thing going in our very diverse (in geography, age, religion, political persuasion, ethnicity, marital status, upbringing, and cooking abilities) neighborhood here on This Side of the Pond.  I agree with Joyce that "tolerance is not demanding everyone be tolerant, bragging about how tolerant you are, and then when a viewpoint contrary to your own is expressed, calling that person a racist-bigot-ignoramus," so I am going to cheat and borrow most of her answer. She wrote it so eloquently.  "Welcome to America in the year 2015.  Call me old fashioned, but I still believe there are some absolute truths in this world. Yes there are areas where we can agree to disagree, but there are also areas where we can't. And that's where I think the word tolerance gets lost." 
4. What is one of your most vivid memories of the kitchen from your childhood?  I remember many good and a few bad memories of baking with my mom.  The most vivid wonderful memory revolves around a Betty Crocker Kids Cookbook, a drum cake, and my 5th grade teacher, Ms. Reynolds.  My mom bought me the cookbook and together we made the cake for my teacher's birthday.  Ms. Reynolds loved it, I was proud of myself, and so was my mom.  My mom made the most wonderful iced sugar cookies and I remember the two of us baking them at holiday time.  It was so much fun.  My mom also made awesome fried apple/peach pies.  Bad memory short....I wanted to learn how, my mom was teaching me how to roll out pie crust dough.  I could not seem to get it thin enough....and after five attempts....my mom got mad, I was crying and trying to quit....and she ended up slapping me in the face.  My dad came in with a belt and told her to move aside he was going to beat me for not being able to follow directions.  THAT defused the situation and we ended up laughing.  I have never tried to make a fried pie again.5. How did/do your own children's summers compare with your summers as a child? If you're not a parent, answer as it relates to what you've observed about the current generation of children vs. your own childhood.  With the exception of the freedom.  We would play outside from early morning until the street lights came on....they were very similar I think, mostly in the way childhood summers felt. Mine were a delicious concoction of carefree, outdoorsy, sunshiny, hours with plenty of time for day dreams. As a child I spent a lot of time outdoors, playing made up games with my sister and friends, swimming, and riding bikes. We read a lot of books, colored endless pictures, spent a week in Vacation Bible School, and some years made a trip  to visit our grandparents, although not every year. I grew up at the beach so it was a definite in my childhood.  We took trips to the beach when the kids were small.  We made more vacations when my kids were younger.  Vacation to my parents was coming to Alabama to see the family.  We took weekenders to places in Florida...like the Keys, the Everglades.
6. Tell us what body of water you would most like to be on or near today, and why?  I would love to be near the Atlantic Coast or Gulf Coast.  I love the beach.  I love the sound of the waves, the smell, the sunsets...pretty much all of it. 7. Share a favorite song about water, or a favorite song with the word water in it's title, or a favorite song to listen to as you sit beside the water.
A favorite song about the water? River Roll On by the Judds or Old Black Water by the Doobies. 
A favorite song with water in the title? As I Went Down to the River to Pray. 
I love songs about the beach as I sit beside the water? Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Mommas and the Pappas, etc.
8. Insert your own random thought here.  Tomorrow would have been my mom's 86th birthday and my great aunt Eula passed away early this morning.  She was 111 as of May.  I was fortunate enough to share her 110th birthday with her.  How old is your oldest relative?

4 comments:

Sonya said...

My stepdads uncle is 101 and will have his next birthday in Oct. I enjoyed reading your answers!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like an interesting book and perfect for you! Very sweet memory in the kitchen with your mom. Love your song choices. How wonderful that you were able to celebrate your mother's 110th birthday with her. My dad is the oldest in my family. In my husband's family his aunt is around 96. Hope your week is going well.

Wendy said...

Wow 110 is some age. My Mum was 89 when she passed away and my MIL is currently 86

Nonnie said...

My mom also made great fried pies, but I was happy just eating them. Have never attempted to make one. 111?? Wow. My oldest living relative is 85. Sad, huh? My parents died young.