Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Wacky Week Hodge Podge

Hello Hodgepodgers!  What can I say....it has been a week....and you wouldn't believe me if I told you.  Add your link at the end of Joyce's post and  visit a few while you are there. 

1.  October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?  I am not a big fan of sequels.  I did see the movies, and loved the first, thought the second and third were okay.  In the fall of 1985 I was the mother of a five year old, a fourteen year old, and one who had just gotten his learner's permit.  I was teaching in a small rural school, and just starting to attend Alabama's Rural Pacer's Program.2. If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?
I don't want to know about the future.  I do agree with Joyce in saying  I'd love to go back in time if I could skip any sadness, and just relive the good stuff.  
I'd think twice about traveling either direction. The future and the past are both filled with highs and lows, love and loss, joy and sorrow. I feel a huge sense of relief knowing I'm not in charge of time.  
3.  We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass). Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good?  I think it's safe to say there is no un-doing the Internet. In general I think it's done more good than harm, but of course there is always that one bad apple (or ten) who like to spoil things.  Social media is sometimes a nightmare.  Hover boards are in existence....but I think flying cars....are on the drawing board somewhere
, don't you think?
4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?  A pot roast with vegetables and/or chili/potato soup.  Fast Food favorite is Chic Fil A.  I love the original and we don't eat there often....near us is one of the Dwarf Houses.  It is so cute.

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now?
Mine would have to be a toss up between No time like the present and pressed for time.  During school we have so many deadlines that have to be met in a timely manner.  Sometimes I wait til the last minute to fill out forms.
6.  Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?  Mine would be my childhood church.  The building itself is still there...but instead of First United Methodist church with it's beautiful stained glass windows....the windows are gone...my favorite one of Jesus as the Shepherd has been replaced with a garish piece of metal art that is a zodiac on a museum called the Harriet.  While we are on this subject....the house I lived in til I was 5 is gone...it is part of City Place in West Palm Beach....where The Harriet is located.  The house I lived in until I went away to college and got married is also gone.  My neighborhood was made into a sports practice field....for FAU.  It is so sad.7.  Describe your comfort zone.  My answer is simple....and three fold.  On the beach, in the Smokies, or home.8. Insert your own random thought here.  What is your take on social media and airing your laundry there?  For the first time in my life....I was the recipient of a social media rampage....and it hurt.  I cried all day yesterday and even asked my boss to send me home.  He hugged me and told me to get in there and fight like a champ.  When I went back into my room the Rachel Platten song, This is My Fight Song was playing....God works in funny ways sometimes.

5 comments:

Denise said...

sorry that happened to you. praying for you

Paula said...

Hello! I am your neighbor on the link-up at Joyce's. I would love for my comfort zone to be the beach. Unfortunately here in land-locked Kansas there are not any beaches where I would find comfort. Enjoyed your answers.

Nonnie said...

I understand your sadness about the things no longer there. After I posted my answers, I remembered that our house we lived in for several years had been taken for the construction of the new airport. Although we were excited to move into a new house, that little house held lots of good memories.

We sound like our food tastes are alike. :-)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your definitely had your hands full in 1985! Love your comfort zones. Sorry about your house being gone, that would bother me. Sorry you were hurt by social media yesterday. ((Hugs))

Joyce said...

Quite a while back someone said something to me on FB that really hurt my feelings. It shocked me actually, and took me a while to get over. I did not un-friend the person, but I did hide her from my feed because seeing her name pop up raised the hurt. She said something very presumptuous and inaccurate, but I really had no way to explain where she went off track. I let it go, lesson learned. I steer clear of those who rant, or get too political and judgemental. Show me puppies, food, your grandkids...anything, but be kind. Above all be kind. Don't say something on FB you wouldn't say if you were having coffee in the kitchen. Also, family laundry needs to remain behind closed doors. Period, exclamation point, amen.