Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Life Lesson Part II

I have had numerous life lessons from God...from a very early age. My mom used to tell me with every lesson that God was building my character...and I used to wish He would get through with me and move on to someone else. I took a bible study once with a remarkable bunch of women. It was a Beth Morre study called, "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things." I leared about being sifted and building character. I also learned more about how Satan is alive and well and living right her among us. I began to understand some of my life's lessons. In our study we spend a great deal of time on Lot. Hewas an amazing fellow...with all that happened to him....he still did not curse the Lord...and in the end....the Lord blessed him twice fold.

My first life lesson was when my brother died tragically. We were both very young and during the space of that same year I also lost two uncles I dearly loved. My little world was devastated. My family was devastated. I did not understand why this was happening. I questioned God. My aunt had 12 children and yet God took my only brother. I was not sure we would survive. But survive we did. Oh, I have battle scars....but they only show you that I am a warrior....I do not know how I would have survived...without God.


My second major life lesson was the year my children were in a boat explosion....Kathryn was 14. She was burned the worst. She had first, second, and third degree burns on over 40% of her body...the lower part of her body. I have never in my life felt so alone...my parents...and all of my good praying friends were all out of town for Memorial Day Weekend. I walked into the emergency room...totally unprepared for the smell of burning flesh and hair...and the sight of my child hurt. The ER nurse slid a rolling chair under me and it was a good thing because I honestly believed that I was headed for the floor. I made my way forward, the nurse shook her head at me letting me know that pity was not welcome in this room. Kat asked me to get the sticks and pine straw our of her hair...it was only when I began to remove them that I realized it was neither sticks nor pine straw...it was her glorious red hair I was brushing out in handfuls. Once Kat dozed off into a drug-induced sleep...I slipped out and called my deacon, David. I do not remember what I told him....but it seemed like when I turned around he was there...I knew God was too. Survive?....well you know we did. Kat and I built a good bit of character that summer....scared?...there is a small strawberry scar on her left leg....and I know where the burns were the worst....I see them every single time I look at her legs....but can you see them? Nope. god made sure of that.

Divorce was probably the hardest life lesson I have ever learned. After 25 years of trying to keep a marriage together....God sent me Keith Elder to get me through this time...and through...Keith, God, and prayer....God let me know it was ok to walk away....and walk I did. I was amazed. I could not believe that a scarlet A did not instantly appear on me...I did a lot of talking to God at this time....it was during this time I learned....if you talk....God will listen. Psalms 46:1-2 says, "God is our refuge and strength, and ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, thought the earth may give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." Once again I survived.

I Peter 1:7 tells us, "these trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire purfies gold. - your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold."

Amen to that! I am living proof....that life truly does go on!

No comments: