Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Highlights and Lowlights

I took the holidays off from blogging. I spent time with my family and loved it. On Weds. I cooked supper for my daughter. Kat brought some yummy dressing and sides. I had actually cooked it for my son too....but he chose not to come. He did not even call. Oh well, I had a lovely meal with my daughter and parents. We enjoyed the company and the fellowship time. On Thursday morning Frank and I got up very early and went to Ft. Walton to have Thanksgiving with daughter Amy. Amy was at work when we got there....but her husband Steven was the ultimate of hosts. We visited, watched some TV, played a little Wii until Amy got home and nephew Allen and his new bride Sheree got there. We enjoyed a great meal. My daughter Amy is a great cook. We had herb roasted turkey and it was heavenly. On Friday we got up and went to Foley shopping. Oh, I am not a die hard shopper. We wait and get there after the die hards have pooped out. It is much more fun not being pushed and shoved. About noonish we went to Lamberts for our second annual Thanksgiving Day Event. This year I did not get hit in the head with a thrown roll....nope...I was proud. Oh nooooo, this year I got squirted with fake ketchup and nearly had a cow. The waiter decided that I was not in the mood for humor. After shopping we headed back to the Willey house and met up with Allen and Sheree again....played games until late and went to bed. We had yet another big day on Saturday. There was still one more leg of our trip. We left Amy's before daylight so we could make it Aunt Shirley's in time to eat lunch at 1:00 fast time. We had to swing through Alex City to pick up Beau at the Puppy Hotel so we did not have to wait til Monday to get him. I thought it might be a good idea to call the Valley and let them know we were on our way. And once again we were off....driving to another destination to eat yet another plate of turkey, ham and some more dressing. (remind me...next year when I cook for my kids....we are having Italian.) This part of the trip took 5.5 hours. I was so tired by the time we arrived. I really wanted to curl up on the couch and read. But, I love being with my family. Even if it meant eating turkey again....I know it really is not about the food...it is all about the togetherness of family for me. Everyone sitting down together and talking animatedly about what all has been happening in their lives and passing the phone around to talk to Terri because she can't be here this year. Ahhhh but the best laid plans of mice and men....we got to my aunts about 50 minutes later....only to find everyone sitting around....full....or finishing their dessert. They had eaten without us! I looked at the clock in the living room and it was only 12:55. We had five minutes to spare. What happened? I was so hurt and Frank was too....we started to just back out the door and go home. (We left Frank's daughters....before daylight....and could have stayed til noon, had a great seafood lunch, and a leisurely trip home.) I thought I would die. If it had not been for the fact that Ramona and Dustin came in right behind us....we would have...left that is. So we ate with them....but my holiday spirit was shot down. After lunch the lure of Amanda playing the guitar and singing was too much so I joined the group. We are singing together this weekend....so the practice time was appreciated. We sang a few songs and then Frank and I left. I had a huge feeling of Scrooginess come over me....and I needed to leave....so leave we did. I seethed inside all the way home. I licked my wounds...and finished out the rest of the day trying to decorate the yard for the holidays. The crisp air....and the excitement of the yard art seemed to lift my spirits some. I came away from this experience with a new outlook. I don't care how late someone is....when I invite someone to my house....for a family thing....I will wait. What else I learned from this is that Christ waits for us to come to him....everyday. He sits and waits....the question is....do we come to him? Do we take part in the life he has to offer us....or are we in such a hurry that we miss the blessing?

No comments: