Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Project 365 - Week 9

It is that time of week again and I am excited about posting my pictures this week.  I can't believe that I have actually stayed with this.  I am beginning to feel like a day without pictures is like a day without sunshine.  I have to admit I have had a ball snapping pictures this week.  If you would like to see some of the other contributions head over to Sara's blog and see some truly amazing photographers in action.

Sunday, February 20th


Sunday I got around to opening mail from Saturday and found a lovely surprise.  There was a card from my blogging friend, Jeannie.  I love her cards and this one was a real treat and surprise.  She makes and sells cards and is currently living in ....get this....Italy.  How cool is that?  Thanks Jeannie for my special prize!  I love it!
Monday, February 21st

Monday I was without a car.  My car was leaking brown stuff and I took it to S & S to see what was wrong.  They had to order a part so I was without a car all day Monday.  As most of you know I spend the night with Mary L. on Monday's and we go to Bible Study....she got caught up in the P365 idea with me and we lucked up on this amazing sunset.  It was made in the cemetary where my dad is buried.  We both loved the lining look of the clouds.  Talk about a message from God.

Tuesday, February 22nd

On Hwy 431 between Roanoke and Ruth is a Tater House.  I have been fascinated by this place since we moved to Roanoke and so Tuesday as Frank and I headed home we stopped and I got it on film.  I don't exactly know what a tater house is....but it is definitely a conversation piece.

Wednesday, February 23rd

This church is on Hwy 22 and I pass it ever day.  I have never seen a sign telling me what church it is....but I love the jut out in the back part of the church...or is that the front?...and the bell in the steeple was actually ringing when I stopped.  I can imagine a pulpit area in the alcove....or perhaps a sweet little choir loft.  I wonder, because of the positioning of the church, if at one time the road ran a different way?  So many questions.  I have a thing about the positioning and fung shei of buildings.  I can't imagine why this church was not built facing the road....it would have been a lot more inviting. 

Thursday, February 24th

Down Hwy 63 South, just a few minutes from Alexander City, AL, is one of the best known monuments of our area....Kowliga, the wooden Indian(song written by Hank Williams while visiting the lake). Kowliga used to sit outside a small store just over the bridge, then at a restaurant next door.  Vandals hurt him several times and he was redone and sits outside of Sinclair's restaurant now and housed in a plexiglass box. 

This is the current bridge.  The weather was getting nasty and you can tell by the aqua color of the water and the gray of the skies.  Just under the bridge is the house that Winton Blount and his family used for many years.  They always put on the greatest firework show on the 4th of July.  Now that is done at the Lake Martin Ampitheater by Russell Lands.


Right across the road from where Kowliga sits is the Church in the Pines.  It is used in the summer for services and the pulpit is filled by visiting pastors or all demoninations.  It is also used in warm weather for weddings.  It is absolutely breathtaking to sit in the pews and see the gorgeous water off to the left.  This is such a peaceful place.

Friday, February 25th
I cross the Tallapoosa River every day on Hwy 22 in Wadley, AL.  I have wanted to get this shot a hundred times but traffic has kept me from stopping.  Friday as I crossed the bridge, the sun was gorgeous and lo and behold there was nothing behind me or coming at me so I stopped right in the middle of the bridge and caught this shot.

Saturday, February 26th



Saturday, Frank and I went to Auburn to meet Kat for lunch.  We were a good bit early and decided to use the time for some photo ops.  The three above pictures are of Toomer's Corner.  The two trees are the ones that made national news in the past few weeks when the disgruntled fan (from a school which shall remain nameless) poisoned the trees.  The trees are dying.  The end of a tradition.  It has been quite sad that some idiot would go so far as to kill two harmless trees.  What saddens me most is that a rivalry got to that point.  It is just a game....or have we forgotten that.

Sanford Hall and one of the most photographed spots on campus.

Before Auburn was Auburn....it was Alabama Poly Technic Institute.  Frank and I found a cornerstone on campus that I did not even know was there.  Beside the cornerstone was a giant lathe that was found buried in the ground and donated to the Institute.  It was quite a history lesson today.



 On our way back to the car I saw this little bird's nest and just had to catch it too.  The sky was so blue today and the sun felt heavenly on my neck and shoulders.

We met Kat, Charlie, Savanna at Laredo's for lunch.  Mr. Charlie was so entertaining at the table.  He is only six months old but has the facial expressions of an adult.  He was delightful.  Thanks Kat for sharing Savannah and Charlie with us.  It was a blast.

When we got home from Auburn we went to the church to do the bulletin and sign for today.  This one is a bit controversial according to Frank....my thoughts....if it bothers you....then God is saying something to you.
Hope you have a great week and I will see you at the end of week 10 right here on Project 365.  Ciao!

17 comments:

Ladynred said...

Great pictures you have here. Love the bird nest.
Project 365

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a load of great pictures this week - wow!! You are so sweet to post your card - sorry it was late - blame the Italians!! Love the church sign - funny & true!

Have a super week!

Mimi said...

I love the church in the pines, just so charming. I was lucky enough to get a card from Jeannie too!

Hugs and love,
Mimi

Mary said...

Good pictures! When I heard the age of the man that poisoned the trees, I couldn't believe. I guess some people never grow up.

Robin Lambright said...

Great week!

Love the church in the pines.

very peaceful.

blessing for a great week, I love how much fun you are having!

R

Love Bears All Things said...

I am enjoying your photos every week...I think the "bird nest" might be a Squirrel nest.
Sad about the trees...rivalry had gone too far..I heard he wasn't even from Alabama.
Mama Bear

Skoots1moM said...

hahah, love your sign

(my daughter is sooo upset w/ that man that poisoned the trees...he didn't attend Alabama...and the students that do go there are very angry w/ him for what he did....daughter has even contributed to a fund they are raising to give them new trees.)

thanx 4 sharing your shots

sara said...

I am so glad you are enjoying P365! We are sure enjoying you being part of it!!!

Actually, I agree with you on the sign! :)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a great pictorial review of your week. Love the church in the woods -- I can see that it would be a spiritual spot.

Amy said...

lol, love the church sign! and your pictures this week are fabulous! I felt like I got a little tour of your part of the world. :-)

McCrakensx4 said...

the churxh in the pines is simply beautiful...would love to attend a service there. i have never visted auburn,but would love to one day;love all the the photos you captured! and now you have me wondering as well..even though I never knew it before...but what is the tator house?! lol

RaD said...

Really? Someone poisoned the trees? How dumb is that?

The church in the pines looks like a peaceful place to visit.

Marina said...

i love your project! great pictures!

Lori said...

great landscape photos this week.

The Bug said...

Great pics this week! I used to have a Ronnie Milsap album with that Kowliga song on it - I would sing it at the top of my lungs :)

Amy said...

My ex husband taught at Auburn Univesity and always talked about how beautiful it is. I loved all your pictures, it does look like a neat place.

Have a great week.

riTa Koch said...

Beautiful photos and thoughts, nature and history lessons, a tour of your part of the country and lovely fellowship.