Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Making Some Baked Apples - Yummmmo

 It's apple season in Tennessee and I love nothing more than a good in-season apple.  When we were visiting Chuck and Susan last week, Chucks parents had been up to Cosby, TN and brought back some amazing apples.  I have eaten three of mine so far and am making baked apples tonight.  I can't wait....my mouth is watering already just thinking about it.  I love to make.....and eat baked apples.  the apples I am going to use are huge....they are Jonathons and so firm.  The recipe is one my dad gave me several years ago....25 to be exact.  He and I shared a grand passion for baked apples.

Ingredients

  • 4 large good baking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, Jonathan, or Jonagold (there are several others out there....these are the ones we always use.)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash apples. Remove cores to 1/2 inch of the bottom of the apples. It helps if you have an apple corer(I love mine), but if not, you can use a paring knife to cut out first the stem area, and then the core. Use a spoon to dig out the seeds. Make the holes about 3/4-inch to an inch wide.
2 In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Place apples in a 8-inch-by-8-inch square baking pan. Stuff each apple with this mixture. Top with a dot of butter (1/4 of the Tbps).
3 Add boiling water to the baking pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Remove from the oven and baste the apples several times with the pan juices.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on the side. 
Options:  I have also put them in a bowl....with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...and drizzled some caramel ice cream sauce over it.  Believe me....it is heavenly!
Yummmo!  I do have to say....smelling the apples bake makes me miss my dad.  This was our favorite thing to make together....and yep...my dad was a much better cook than my mom.  She was good...he was awesome!

2 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh my! I think I can almost smell them. Does anything smell better than apples baking?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Just the mention of Rome Beauty gets me excited. We are getting ours this weekend. I love them!!!! These sound wonderful and ice cream would be a great addition.