Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, November 16, 2012

So Won't You Stay....Just a Little Bit Longer...

Lisa-Jo Baker is the host of 5 Minute Fridays and for me she has been a lifesaver.  I had gotten to where I was dragging my heals coming up with things to write about that were meaningful and not just trivial (which if you know me....know that is my specialty....I am the Queen of trivia.)  The concept is....I want to be a serious writer....and finish the book I started many years ago.  I have bits and pieces of this book scattered in journals, boxes, envelopes...everywhere....and need to settle down and put it together.  That is where 5 Minute Friday came in.  I begin a few months ago and since I began I have actually began putting the book together.....I have 200 pages so far.  I am impressed with myself.  Who knows...maybe before the end of 2013 you will find me on Amazon....and not just as a book reviewer....but as someone who's book is BEING reviewed.  So, back to 5 Minute Friday...this is what you do.....


1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community... 
BTW...it is ok to visit others too.  I usually try and hit at least ten.  Oh and Ahem, if you would take pity and turn off comment verification, it would make leaving some love on your post that much easier for folks!

Now, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.

OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on:::

Stay…

GO:

When I saw this word prompt I immediately started singing at my desk, "So won't you stay...hey...hey...just a little bit longer."  I am a music person and my whole world revolves around song.  It is like I live in a giant musical.  When my children where young I would make up songs about whatever we were doing....and put my lyrics to a current song.  I kept them and their friends entertained for hours.  But enough rambling for the moment, I only have five minutes to broach this subject.  Stay at the high school where I work means where someone lives.  I say, "I live in Roanoke."  The kids say, "I stay in Coosa."  Stay to me is a word of permanence.  It means you will always be there.....or not if you tell someone to stay away. In my bible readings this week I came across the word stay.  It is from  Mark 26:36-38:    "36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”...this passage saddened me this week because none of the disciples stayed awake with him.  They all went to sleep and left him to deal with his upcoming death.  I am amazed at the fact that He stayed strong in spite of everything.  He could have chosen to walk away...and look where we would be now.....but He didn't....He stayed the course and died for my sins.  That is a perfect example of staying power.  I often wonder what kind of staying power I have.  I can't tell you how many diets I have started.....and not stayed stong.  I start projects and cannot stay with them til they are completed.  I am a classic ADD adult.  I am restless at times and cannot stay still....or in the same place.  Right now at this moment....in Rock Mills, AL I have found peace and the urge to stay forever.   It surprises me sometimes that I have stayed with my career choice for over 20+ years.  Knowing my lack of stayability I am surprised that I have not moved onto something else....except that I love what I do.  I stay where I am because it makes me happy, fulfilled, needed, special....so here I stay....at my desk....listening for the sound of children coming into the building to begin another day.Welcome to my classroom....come and stay awhile....let me touch your life.....and you in turn will touch mine....whether you know it or not. 

 

STOP:

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Enjoy your family, friends, the day and think on the things you are truly thankful for.  I know I will.  I am thankful for my family, my friends, my church, my porch people, my life....and I am going to stay that way for a while.....a long while.

 

No comments: