After a week's hiatus, Joyce and the Hodgepodge are back.YEAH! I missed last week but understand that we all need a vacation. Here are Joyce's questions...answer on your own blog, and be sure to hop back to Joyce's blog to link your answers with the whole wide world. A small corner of it anyway~
1. Summertime is a season of reunions, weddings, and other family celebrations and gatherings...are any of the above on your calendar in the next two months? My 40 year class reunion was last August and it was a big deal. We will be having a 60th birthday party bash sometime in 2014. As far as reunions and weddings go this is a quiet year and the only reunions I have coming up is are family ones on July 4th and the Sasser/Matthews family reunion at the end of July at Camp Alamisco in Dadeville. It is a 3 day event but since I now serve a church I am only going to be able to pop in for a visit on Saturday. I have had two weddings since the end of school.
2. June is National Iced Tea Month...are you an iced tea drinker? If so, how do you like yours (sweet, flavored, etc)? I love iced tea....unsweet. I also love it hot (especially at bed time...camomille is my favorite hot one.)
3. When were you last nervous? Looking back, was the 'event' actually nerve-worthy? The day I met with the District Superintendent of the Southeast District of the United Methodist church about getting a church, when I told the congregation at Rock Mills, and then a few days later when I met with the Midway Pastor Parrish Committee. Not everyone is comfortable with a woman in the pulpit.
4. The bristle toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498...not sure how that date was pinned down so precisely but, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being sick to your stomach and 1 being not at all, how nervous do you feel when you're headed to the dentist? Do you see your dentist twice a year? Going to the dentist for me is a nightmare so I would say a 20. When I was 15 months old I fell and knocked my front baby teeth loose. My mom took me to a dentist and he ended up slapping me because I cried when he pulled the xray machine down to my 15 month old face. My mom was livid. I ended up going to a dentist who went to our church named Dr. Aliopoulis. I thought he hun the moon and even after I moved to Alabama would go back to South Florida twice a year for check ups. I finally found a local dentist that I loved. I believe in going to the dentist twice a year....even though I do not like going.
5. What's making news in your town this week? Fourth of July celebrations are on the front page. Our paper only comes out once day a week. There have been some other noteworthy news....shootings, a murder, a suicide, and a couple of wrecks. There is a bull riding event coming up. Most of our news has to do with local stuff.
6. Curtains, drapes, blinds...your window treatment of choice? Are there any bare windows in your house? Is that by choice or because you haven't gotten around to covering them? There are no bare windows in my house. I live in a parsonage so my windows are all taken care of by the Parsonage committee. I have blinds and lace curtains in every room but the dining room. I put sheers over the blinds there. The kitchen has cafe curtains with an apple theme. They match the border. The laundry room has ivy cafe curtains. The master bedroom has curtains that dim light. I bought those to go with my bedspread.
7. Summertime is officially here (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)...what one song is a must-have on your summer playlist? I have to be honest. I can't just pick one. I grew up in South Florida and love the beach....I love all the songs by the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, anything to do with the beach.....and of course...anything by Jimmy Buffett.
8. Insert your own random thought here. When is your favorite time to take vacation? I am a teacher so I have summer's off....and love the beach...so I have to visit it at least once...or more from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I also love fall vacations....the Smokies when the leaves are changing amaze me. I am not much on winter vacations(cold is not my friend)....unless I head south back to the beach or Charleston. I love spring time travel too...especially when things are blooming. To be honest....when the car cranks I want to be in it. I love packing...going...being there...and coming home again. I hav 48 out of 50 US states under my belt....so maybe you have some ideas for me on what to do in Vermont and Alaska. What is your favorite place to vacation and what is your favorite thing to do on a vacation.