Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, June 24, 2013

Red Rooster and the HR Girls From Milliken

Today we met Marcie(my sister from another mother) and some of her Milliken staff at the Red Rooster in LaGrange for lunch.  We originally planned to eat at Katies Too (one of our favorite places - they serve cucumber and onion salad)....but they are closed on Monday.  So we ended up at the Red Rooster.  It was our first time there and I chose the Poppy Seed Chicken, turnip greens, and pineapple casserole.  Let me tell you this food was amazing.  We had a wonderful time at lunch and I thought since the food was so good I would share a couple of the recipes with you.  Here in the South casseroles are a must.  Covered dish dinners bring them out in droves and it makes me think about my dad....he hated casseroles as a whole....but did eat these two and Hash Brown casserole.  I think in Minnesota they are called hot dishes.  Either way...it is food combined in to one dish....and usually involves cheese, crushed crackers...and butter.

Poppy Seed Chicken
Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as
Ritz®), crushed
1 teaspoon poppy seeds, or more if
desired
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream
of chicken soup
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions:
1.Place the chicken breasts into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Drain the water, then shred the chicken.
2.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine the butter, crackers, and poppy seeds in a bowl; set aside.
3.Blend the sour cream and cream of chicken soup in a bowl; pour half of the soup mixture into a 9x9-inch baking dish. Add the shredded chicken, then pour the remaining half of the soup mixture on top. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, then top with the cracker mixture.
4.Bake in the preheated oven until cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes

This is a great dish to take to church functions.  I never bring any of it home.


Pineapple Casserole
Ingredients:
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks,
drained
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with
juice
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar (I substitute Equal)
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 2/3 cups crushed Ritz crackers
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Combine the pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple with syrup. Mix together and pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
3.Mix together the flour and sugar, sprinkle evenly on top of pineapple. Cover with cheese, top cheese with cracker crumbs and drizzle melted butter on top.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.

This recipe was one my dad used to make and take to all church functions.  It is wonderful with turkey, pork...anything.  I even like it for dessert.  I am learning how to crochet tomorrow and cannot wait for my lesson with Mrs. Shirley.  This is a busy week full of new adventures and Kat coming home.  It is going to be fun!

No comments: