Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Aunt Clara Mae

My great aunt, Clara Mae passed away this week and the funeral/visitation were today.  Clara Mae McCain was 93 and had lived the later years of her life in Dothan, Alabama near her son, Freddie.  She  passed away Thursday May 30, 2013 at a local nursing home.  I visited her there back in December, but she did not know who I was.  She has not known me on the last two visits.  It was ok.  I just held her hand, stroked her face and spoke to her.  Her eyes were blank and my heart was sad.  Her funeral services were held at 4 pm Saturday, June 1, 2013 at Alexander City Methodist Church with Rev. Wayne Cowhick officiating and Sunset Funeral Home directing. The family received friends at the church from 3 pm until 4pm Saturday. It was good seeing Freddie, Inez, and Scott.  I have not seen them in a long time.  Her burial followed in Hillview Memorial Park right next to her beloved husband, Fred. The family asked that memorials be made to Alexander City Methodist Church, 1020 11th Ave. N. Alexander City, AL 35010. I found this sad because while she was alive my aunt Clara Mae had a yard that could be Yard of the Month.  She had such a green thumb and loved color everywhere.  I loved to go to her house and just get lost in her back yard.  She was born March 8, 1920 in Alexander City and resided most of her life there until moving to Dothan in 1999. She owned and operated a children’s daycare service in her home for several years. Aunt Clara Mae  was an avid gardener and her specialty was growing daylilies. They were spectacular.  The Alexander City Methodist Church was her life and she was a member of the church choir and the woman’s missionary group. Survivors include her son and daughter-in-law, Rev. Freddie L. and Inez McCain, Skipperville; her grandchildren, Michelle (Joey) Hunter, Sylacauga; Scott McCain, Dothan and Christopher McCain, Skipperville; four great-grandchildren; her brother, Austin Holley, Alexander City; her sister, Ruth Arnold, Forrest Home, AL.  She is the final one of her generation to depart.  It is sad to know that I am now one of the oldest generation remaining.  Life goes....and life goes on.  She will be sorely missed.  But I can just see her bossing my uncle Fred around with her Honey Do List in heaven....and it makes me smile.  She has missed him for a long time. 

No comments: