Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, May 30, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Nothing

This is the place where once a week we take the chance to just write, and not worry if it’s just right or not.  For five minutes flat.  Here’s how the game works: you simply stop, drop and write. Set your words free. Don’t edit them, don’t fret over them, don’t try to make them perfect. That’s how Five Minute Friday was born. Want to play? It’s fun. And it’s never too late to link up. Also? The awesome Karen whipped up a Facebook page where we can connect and talk all things writing beyond just Fridays! Click here to join us.  Then come take the Five Minute Friday challenge.
1. Write for only five minutes.
2. Link back to Lisa Jo's blog and invite others to play along.
3. Go high five the word artist who linked up before you with an awesome comment.
It’s liberating; give it a a try and see.  OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes for the prompt: 


Nothing


I have sat here staring at the computer screen and felt nothing coming.  I have not had a day like this in a long time.  Nothing fills my heart, my soul, my thoughts.  By definition the word nothing means the following:  
  1. 1.
    not anything; no single thing.
    "I said nothing"
    synonyms:not a thing, not anything, nil, zero, naught/nought; More
    "all my efforts add up to nothing"
    antonyms:something
    • something of no importance or concern.
      "“What are you laughing at?” “Oh, nothing, sir.”"
      synonyms:a trifling matter, a trifle; More
      neither here nor there;
      informalno big deal
      "forget it—it's nothing"
    • (in calculations) no amount; zero.
      synonyms:zero, naught/nought, 0; More
      "the share value fell to nothing"
adjective
informal
adjective: nothing
  1. 1.
    having no prospect of progress; of no value.
    "he had a series of nothing jobs"

So with the definition in mind I begin thinking back to times when nothing was part of my vocabulary.  I began at the time before Kat was born when I was married to her dad and thought about my feelings on the day of our wedding.  It was snowing lightly and I felt nothing but joy.  Nothing could defeat us.....or so I thought.  I realized early on that my opinions in the marriage counted for nothing.  Nothing I wanted mattered.  When Kat was young there was a feeling of nothingness that began to invade my heart.  I kept trying to overcome this darkness but in the end.....after an almost 25 year marriage.....it won.  There was nothing left.  I was empty.   I had nothing left to give.  So in 1998, after Kat graduated from high school, I walked out.  For many days I sat in the floor in my non-furnished apartment and let nothing overtake me.  I wanted him to realize he could not live without me....call me....come and get me.....but all I got was nothing.  One day I was invited to a bible study called Letting Go by Beth Moore.  Let go I did....all the nothing emptied from my heart and I began to be filled with God.  I opened my heart up to people, I searched my Bible for God's answers to the millions of questions I had.....and found peace, love, and fulfillment.  Gone were the nothing days.  That was the beginning of my growth from Bible Study to Pulpit.  It is amazing how God can take nothing....and make it into something beautiful....Me.  No longer am I nothing.  I am something.  I am a child of the King.  I am heir to the throne.  I am far from nothing.  Thank God!




No comments: