Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Ups and Downs of My Life

My Bible reading last night was from John 15.  This verse is the one that caught my attention.
"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine. You are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing." (John 15:4-5, NASB).
It’s that time of year again. Schools are back in session and there seems to be a million things pulling me apart.  I teach at two school so I have to work games at both schools.  Most of the faculty at each school only work one game of each sport.  I work one game of each sport at two schools.  I have already worked my RCHS volleyball game and will work the Lanett football game on Oct. 2nd.  I am working Homecoming at Wadley on the 11th and then a volleyball game the following Monday.  I don't mind working the games....I want to support the kids....but....there is a limit to my stamina.  I am service oriented and love to do service projects.  Sometimes I love the concept....but when the day arrives I have second thoughts.  I do find that when I complete the project I feel better for it.  So how
do you react when an opportunity for service presents itself?  Are you one of those people who feels guilty saying “no” and gives in to the demands for your time?  That would be me sometimes.  Frank is always telling me, "When will you learn to say no?"  So I find myself wondering why some of us feel as if we have to do it all? I know for a fact I can do anything I set my mind to....but why do I think I need to do it all at the same time.....and that same time is today!  Sometimes I feel as if I don't do service...God will be angry at me....or disapprove of me....but then I read this verse in John and I know that is not so.  He wants me to be productive.....not withered and dried out!  Overdoing and trying to do it all makes me fruitless.  I need to remember that my hand does not always need to be the first one raised.  I need to step back and let God lead me in the way I should go.  I need to stand back and rest in Him so I can have balance.  Balance for me is a big deal.  My middle name is not Grace....in fact it is anything but.  I think sometimes my life following Christ is like me when my balance gets off kilter and I falter.  When I am off balance in my life...and with God...I find myself at the bottom of a deep and dark well frantically searching for a way out.  I can see the light...I just can't get to it.  It is when I am at the bottom of my well that I look up and stretch my hand towards my Heavenly Father.  I give up....let go....and Let God!  He has never let me down.  While sitting in my self-made pit, waiting on God to swoop in and save the day, I discover that the pit  is a common destination for many....not just me.  Especially if we refuse to measure and balance the elements that demand from us....you know the ones.. home, family, friends, work and personal growth. I find that I have been running the race for the wrong audience. I running on my own power instead of God’s power. I find myself yelling at me, "STOP IT!"  I wish I could say one good time in the pit and I learn my lesson....but that is not the case.  I am constantly seeking balance....and seem to forget from one circumstance to the next what put me there.  I must be a slow learner.  Thank God I serve a loving and patient Father!  It is an every day battle for me....one that I cannot win alone.  So, I find myself seeking God when I am at the end of my rope in life....and I hear His loving words...."Keep On Hanging On!"  "Joy comes in the morning"....and many more.   I never have to fight alone and you know what....neither do you. God is with us always, urging us, restoring us, and giving us rest.   Can I get an Amen this morning?



No comments: