Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Help! My Hut is on Fire!

I got an email yesterday from my good friend Robert, aka Dr. Bob, it was a story about a shipwreck survivor and I thought it was profound enough to share it with you this morning.

When your hut's on fire
The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'God! How could you do this to me?' Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue h im! 'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers. 'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.

The Moral of This Story:

It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of our pain and suffering. Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the Grace of God.
My hut was on fire yesterday so I decided after reading this that I would consider passing this on, because you never know who else might feel as if their hut is on fire. So many times I find myself whining about things that happen to me only to realize down the road that it was actually a blessing in disguise. One of my blessings/discouragments is when my parents moved in with us three years ago. They were going to stay for four to six weeks and now three years later they are still with us. I have a husband that is a man among men....he is still married to me after all this! That is a hard thing to do. My mother is not an easy person to be with...she is one of the Irregular People author Joyce Landorf talks about in her book. I get discouraged sometimes with them when they won't eat...won't tell me where they are going...won't give up the big screen TV (trivial matter), recycle, all in all....interrupt my lifestyle....yet, after the discouragment passes....I see the blessing....I am fortunate enough to spend time with my parents that I would not have if they lived somewhere else. We eat most meals at the family table....and eventhough....neither of them remember much....and ask the same questions over and over....we are together.....That truly is a blessing. My friends don't understand why they are still with me....and not in assisted living somewhere....well...they don't want to live in assisted living....their version of that is living with me....and they will until I cannot help them anymore. Yes, my life is sort of on hold for the moment....but a moment in God's time is but a blink of an eye...so I laugh and so....ok, God....I am blinking. Peace to you all! Happy Thursday!

No comments: