Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, April 21, 2008

Prom Week Has Passed

Ok, I know I did not blog last week. I have a good excuse though, I was tied up with getting ready for the Junior - Senior prom. What a job! I was not in my classroom at all during the entire week. I was in the girl's gym working. I was afforded the luxury of this this year....because I have an intern. She taught....and I worked on the prom. The best of both worlds. Everyone should have an intern when they take on a major enterprise like the prom. I am also very fortunate to work with a Dream Team. Our prom is in the girl's gym which is a Cinderella gym. It has been long forgotten and abused. Yet, with a little help from some black plastic, some decorations, rental tables and chairs, lights, a fountain....it was transformed into an elegant place. Our theme this year was "A Night to Remember" and it truly was. The kids all arrived in their party attire and danced their hearts content. My Dream Team: Mary Jean Fagan, Marie Parks, Ed Allen, Beth Dewberry, Jan Meyer and Dwayne Riddle....all made my job so easy. I am fortunate to have them....and at the moment a bit sad....the let down after a job well done....and my final let down. This year's prom was my swan song. I will not be in charge of the prom next year.....the end of an era. In my 18 years here at BRHS I have been the prom sponsor....12 of those years....it is time for the youngsters to take it on. Funny, I was once one of those youngsters....and now...I am one of the senior members of our staff....I never thought I would see that day. Anyway....I am rambling. I have loved doing the prom all these many years....my favorite part....is waking up the morning after....and finding out they all made it home safe and sound. I don't know about you guys....but things are not like they were when I was in school. Kids spend a major amount of money to stay at the prom less than an hour.....the true event of the prom....is the parties that follow. The kids buy fancy party dresses, rent tuxes, buy flowers for their dates....buy tickets, have pictures made...and then....by 10 are on their way to the other party. You want to be invited to one of the big parties...that means you are part of the in group. Some don't care....they go bowling and enjoy themselves...no matter what they do. When I was in school....back in the stone ages....we went to the dance....and went home....period! Oh well....things go in circles...in a few years....it will be back to the old way....thus is life! Here is to a great week. I am just glad prom is over.

Peace to you all, K

No comments: