Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm Tired....or Am I?

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Have you ever noticed that a large number of my blogs seem to revolve around being tired? I seem to be blogging about how busy I have been, or how busy I currently am.... then I seem to launch into some tirade about how tired I am. You know in this fast– paced society we just don’t take the time to get the rest our bodies need. It is like being on an eternal merry-go-round. It continues to go round and round and never stops so that I can get off. I have to laugh because here I am on this busy roundabout thing called life, and I just keep going and going, like the Energizer bunny....never taking the time to just halt all the craziness and rest.

God showed me the error of my thoughts this past summer. I had so much to do, my dad was sick, my mom was sick, I was working overtime trying to get ready to go to Philly for a week long conference. Two days before leaving for the conference....I was jolted into reality. I was diagnosed as hypertensive...and a type II diabetic. The words fell like lead. I was told I had to begin a medicine treatment and get some rest....well, I was actually thinking that the conference would be a great rest period....depending on the definition used of rest....that's a joke! I was in Philly! So much to see and do....and eat....so little time. So there I was....getting ready for my trip, a whole week without the responsiblity of my parents. I was leaving it all for my husband to deal with....and was feeling a bit guilty because of this. I would deal with my problems when I returned. I would watch my sugar levels while I was gone...but I was going to eat a Philly Steak and Cheese.....from Geno's....or bust thunder.

Needless to say, by the time I boarded the plane in Atlanta, I was tired (physically, mentally, and emotionally). We hit the ground running in Philly. Our first day there was free until the afternoon so we used the time to sightsee. We did a lot of sightseeing. We saw all the things first time tourists must see. There were two things that really hit me....and none of them were the traditional things... The first thing that made me stop and take notice was the Love statue in the park. Love...when was the last time I actually thought about that word. Oh, I use it....with my family....but here it was....larger than life...staring at me. As I stood there....I softly sang...Jesus Loves Me....hum I wondered....where did that come from? I Corinthians 13 - the love chapter also entered my head....Love is patient, kind....etc....one has to rest in order to shower others with love.

Our second stop was the Rocky Balboa monument. Here was a man....who overcame the things in life that should have defeated him.....hummmm....that was kind of me right now. I felt a tear slide down my cheek as I looked at the bronze statue. A burst of energy ran through me and I ran up the stairs Rocky runs up in the movie....at the top...I threw my hands in the air....I am one of God's chosen....I too can overcome the things in life that should defeat me. I spent a lot of time that day just reflecting and silently praising God for my salvation and just enjoying a slower pace. That night when we finally fell into bed I got some much needed rest. I could not remember when I had slept so soundly or deeply.

What a week Philly was. I loved every minute....and returned home so rejuvenated. Why? Just as God promises me in Matthew 11:28, I came to Him that week in Philly and He gave me the rest I so needed. All I have to do to get filled up and replenished is to spend time with Him. His strength is my strength. I just have to slow down!...and remember to check my blood sugar!

Happy Trails, Karen

No comments: