Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day - Happy Single Awareness Day!

There is nothing worse than being alone on Valentines Day. It used to break my heart to see all the hugs and kisses cards at Wal-Mart knowing that some of them would be trashed at the end of the season and there were people all over NOT getting one. The thought that there were people no one loved enough to send the very best was crushing. It became even more so when my mom entered the nursing home. I have not missed a holiday with her...she had gifts at Christmas, a Valentines present...complete with a homemade card (her favorites), a sweet treat (also her favorite), and a visit...but there were others that the nursing home gave candy too...because there is no one to come and hug them on Valentines Day. That people, is sad! At church today I also realized how sad it is to be single on this day...my friend Kristy told me today that to her, February 14th is Singles Awareness Day...and you know what...I was more aware of them today than ever. Frank and I went out to lunch for Valentines Day. I bought him a card...even though we said we weren't going to do that...AND it was ok that I did not get a card. Valentines Day is a rip off as far as I am concerned...and the origin of it is far for sweet and loving. Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly, Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him emprisoned and later put to death. While he was an imprisoned man he fell in love with his jailor's daughter. Before he was put to death he sent the first 'valentine' himself when he wrote her a letter and signed it 'Your Valentine', words still used on cards today. So whether you are a sappy Valentine lover, a single with none, or someone who just choses to ignore the day all together...whatever your fancy today...I want to wish you a Happy Valentines Day and Happy Singles Awareness Day...and encourage you to hug someone who has no one today...it will make their day and make them smile...or at least wonder what you are up too. See ya tomorrow!

1 comment:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Happy Valentines Day! hugs, Sherry