Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Word for Wednesday

I had a student a few years ago, funny that I should think of her now, who wrote a research paper for me. The paper used the word loquacious fifteen times. I knew this student well....and also knew that this word was not part of her daily vocabulary and felt that a wee bit of plagiarism may have occurred. I did not want to embarrass the student and wanted so much to be wrong...so I called her up and asked her what loquacious meant. Her answer was a killer...in her minds eye....loquacious was a deadly discease(it is not even a noun....it is an adjective! Griefus). I nearly spewed a mouth full of coffee on the poor child. Needless to say...she will never forget what loquacious truly means. Funny thing is....this child WAS loquacious. She spent several days in my detention for nonstop talking...and a few in administrative detention for the same. I think she probably talked in her sleep. I found a picture of her last night and so I thought today I would give you a Weds. Word...the word is lo·qua·cious. The pronunciation: \lō-ˈkwā-shəs\ It functions as an adjective. According to it's etymology it is from the Latin loquac-, loquax, from loqui to speak. According to Merrium/Webster is means; 1 : full of excessive talk : wordy. 2 : given to fluent or excessive talk : garrulous.
synonyms see talkative
— lo·qua·cious·ly adverb
— lo·qua·cious·ness noun
I personally think it is a funny word. It trips off your tongue and makes my nose buzz. Happy Wednesday...and don't be afraid to use your loquaciousness and leave me a comment!

2 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Yes -- our oldest granddaughter needs to learn this word as well -- it's liable to be used frequently on her upcoming report cards. LOL. The girls goes to sleep talking and wakes up finishing her sentence!

Xazmin said...

I am VERY loquacious! I too spent a lot of time in trouble at school for my loquaciousness! Hope you are having a good week!