Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, March 13, 2010

It Is All In A Name

If you ever go to Wales in the United Kingdom you would be missing out on a good laugh, by not going to a small town called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Many of the people are very proud of their little town and its name. If you ask one of them to pronounce the name of their town, they are usually quite happy to oblige. Most visitors would have a lot of trouble saying the name and I'm sure the locals have a good laugh at some of the attempts to pronounce the name. Many people visiting are intrigued when they hear the locals say the name. I was utterly fascinated. I have been twice and had my passport stamped twice...just because it is such a challenge to pronounce. Originally the town had a shorter, easier to pronounce name: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. 'I think I would still have trouble pronouncing that'! Some of the locals simply call the town Llanfair. Now...I might could wrap my mouth around that with little effort. However, in the 1860s, more syllables were added to attract more visitors to the town. It is believed the name was officially conjured up by the village council, intentionally for the privilege and reputation of having the longest railway station name in Great Britain. Llanfair P.G. is not very far from Caernarfon Castle, one of the largest castles in Wales. Believe me it is well worth a visit. I loved Wales. I loved Ireland....I loved the U.K. period. It is the most beautiful place on earth. So lush and green and innocent. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch actually means; "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave." That is quite a mouthful isn't it. But...after a good bit of research....this town does not hold the honor of having the longest name in the world.Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Nope...not even close. Thailand has a town whose name has 163 letters: Try this one on for size. Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnop- paratrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathit- sakkattiyavisanukamprasit. Now THAT is a mouthful!

No comments: