Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Only A Silly American Tourist....

I am a picky eater. I don't like many green veggies, I don't eat meat that is served like it lived on earth, I don't like white butterbeans, picky I tell you. Several years ago though, I found myself in Llangollen (pronounced Clan Glocklyn),Wales at the Kings Inn. It was a delightful town and so, we went down for breakfast. All week long we had toasts, cereal, Irish soda bread, jams, and juice and occasionally fruit for breakfast. Not a big breakfast eater...at breakfast time...I would grab a couple pieces of toast, some hot tea, and throw a piece of fruit in my bag for later. Imagine my surprise when...sitting on the table was a new type of toast. It was bigger than a piece of Melba Toast...and looked divine. Also, sitting right beside the toast things was some Braeburn Applesauce...the chunky kind....my absolute favorite. I got two pieces of the toast...smothered it in butter and applesauce, poured my tea and sat down with our tour guide to enjoy my breakfast. Adam Buckmaster peered at me over his morning paper as I took a big crunchy bite of the toast and asked, "is that how you eat them in the states?" I knew I had goofed and needed to save face...so I replied, "of course...how do you eat here?" He replied, "with a spot of warm milk and some sugar." I continued to crunch my new found delicasy with delight...even though I was mortified. My friend, Cindy, came down and looked at my plate and said,"what in the hell is that?" "Breakfast" I said smartly. When I was finished and left the dining area...I stopped the waiter and asked him what the toast things were...."Wheetabix" he said. "Wheetabix? what is that?" I asked. He smiled and told me it was similar to our Shreaded Wheat...only more compact. I could have died. Buckmaster loved my blunder...and brought it up several times throughout the trip...who would have thunk it. Wheetabix...the perfect looking toast like thing...was a shreaded wheat square...made to be eaten like cereal...and here this crazy American tourist was eating it raw with butter and applesauce. Only in America. I will say this...Wheetabix are good with butter and jam on them....and they taste like cardboard (just like shreaded wheat) smothered in milk and sprinkled with sugar. The Brits just don't know a good thing when they see it. Have you ever had one of those embarassing moments...when you did something that seemed to make sense...and it was the stupidest thing ever...tell me yours in a comment...I would love to hear about it. It might make me feel better. :-) Happy Tuesday to all!

1 comment:

Queenie Jeannie said...

I am NOT laughing AT you, I swear.....


...can't comment more, I can't catch my breath, lol!!!