Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mallory Square - A Tiny Piece of Heaven on Earth

This is my favorite place on earth, Mallory Square in Key West, FL.  I am a true Florida Native.  I was born there 55 (six days shy of 56) years ago at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Palm Beach, FL.  As I was growing up when most everybody else(from up north) was heading to Panama City, Ft Walton and Destin, my friends and I were headed to the Keys.  I have sailed there, snorkeled in some of the most beautiful waters ever, eaten conch fritters and key lime pie(both local delicasies), stood 90 miles off the coast of Cuba, bicycled and shopped down Duvall Street, road the Conch Train, toured Hemingways house and watched the sunset at Mallory Square while street entertainers performed.  I have seen some of the best mimes ever (and I have been to Paris so I know).   Two former students, Rexton Lee (country singer from Nashville now) and Richard Forehand (rock and roller at Auburn and awesome guitarist) were told that when I died I wanted to cremated and my ashes strewn from the deck of a sail boat off Mallory Square at sunset while they played and sang the Kansas song, "Dust in the Wind."  They promised and so when I am 100 and they are in their 70's I plan to hold them to that one.  If they don't...I will haunt them forever!  It is funny what crosses our minds sometimes.  Enjoy the view...and if you ever have a chance to drop down to the Keys....go...it truly is heaven on earth.  Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Trina said...

I LOVED Key West, minus the break-in and stolen items. I fell in love with Hemingway while touring his house. And conch fritters...oh my!!!! Let's go to Key West to get some!