Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, June 4, 2012

Finding Our Way Home

About the Book:  “Charming, surprising, familiar, and just downright wonderful.”—Allie Pleiter, author of Yukon Wedding and Bluegrass Blessings

When principal ballerina Sasha Davis suffers a career-ending injury at age thirty-eight, she leaves her Boston-based dance company and retreats to the home of her youth in Minnesota. But Sasha’s injuries limit her as much as her mother’s recent death haunts her. Concluding she can’t recover alone, Sasha reluctantly hires a temporary live-in aide.

Enter the übercapable Evelyn Burt. As large-boned as Sasha is delicate, Evelyn is her employer’s opposite in every way. Small town to Sasha’s urban chic, outgoing to Sasha’s iciness, and undaunted where Sasha is hopeless, nineteen-year-old Evelyn is newly engaged and sees the world as one big, shiny opportunity.

Evelyn soon discovers Sasha needs to heal more than bones. Slowly, as the wounds begin to mend and the tables tilt, the two women form an unlikely alliance and discover the astounding power of even the smallest act done in the name of love. Finding Our Way Home is a story of second chances and lavish grace.

My Thoughts On the Book: I have read other books by charlene Ann Baumbich and found her entertaining and humorous.  This story was rather slow in the beginning, the characters didn't quite fully develop and were rather detached from each other. As the story continued there were sweet moments, but overall it lacked depth.  Jorden and Evelyn and their premarital passion, marital intimacy, and family abuse was a topic that seemed very out of place and not developed at all in this story. The parental relationship between Evelyn and her parents was very vague. The Christian message was weak and the few references to the words "faith" and "grace"were completely undeveloped and awkward in this story. The front cover compares the story to those written by Jan Karon and I that was not a true statement.  The ending had a sweet ending but all in all I just would not recommend this book at all.

Disclaimer:  I was given this book to review by Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books Program.  I was not paid for my opinion or my review, they are mine.

No comments: