Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, June 22, 2012

People Are Strange When You're A Stranger

Ok, I promise that this is my last post on the KLAMS trip....but this one is not a weblog or journal...this one is about strangeness. The Doors did a song about it years ago and if you click on my word strangeness you can hear it.  The dictionary defines strange as: 
 strange (strnj) adj. strang·er, strang·est
1. Not previously known; unfamiliar.
2.
a. Out of the ordinary; unusual or striking.
b. Differing from the normal.
3. Not of one's own or a particular locality, environment, or kind; exotic.
4.
a. Reserved in manner; distant.
b. Not comfortable or at ease; constrained.
Synonyms of strange:   peculiar, odd, queer, quaint, outlandish, singular, eccentric, curious.  Ok...with that said for those of you who know me personally.....you know that I cover most of the synonyms myself.  At any given time I can be any of the above.  Yes, I will be the old woman who wears purple........but not with a red hat.  I want to be like this woman we saw in Toronto.  I want my hat to be a different shade of lavender and my skirt to be carmine colored....and I want to wear lavender flip flops when it is hot.  This lady made me want to get off the tour bus and take photos of her.  She was so striking......the lady with no face.  I wonder what kind of story her face would have told.
My second subject was a man crossing the street.  We were downtown....everyone was dressed fully....and yet....here he was....tats and all.  I have always had an issue with men being able to remove their shirts in public....yet, women can not.  I have also have a fascination with tats and what they say about a person.  I believe they are most artistic....but....for me....they are a form of pain and I am not going there....so I will enjoy them on other people....like this guy.
Throughout the tour of Tornonto we saw purple people, buskers (street musicians), tourists, spiderman,


and this strange little man.  Our bus was stopped at one of the scheduled places and standing outside of a building was this guy....and his Barbie doll.  Susan leaned forward from her seat and told me to grab the shot.....and I did more than that....I grabbed several shots....because this man was most interested in his Barbie doll and what was under her skirt. I have to admit that he kind of reminded me of someone I once met in Hazzard County, Kentucky and the fascination with what he was doing kept me focused on his actions.   He did not know anyone was watching....I was on the top of the bus....clicking away as he stood there.  Now...that was really strange.

Ok...I don't know about you....but Barbie doll man kind of worried me.  I love people watching.  I love looking at their expressions, body stance, speed of walk, position of hands/arms, I could sit for hours on a park bench and write forever.  I love creating what I think their story is in my mind.  Ok...I know ....I am strange.....but then....aren't we all?  Have a wonderful Friday.  I am excited....Kat and Brian are back from Moldova, an answer to this momma's prayers for a safe journey.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Now that IS strange. He didn't appear to be mentally disabled??? If not, that's VERY disturbing.

Queenie Jeannie said...

OK, Barbie Dude is just plain creepy!!! Yucky!

I love people watching too. Italy is perfect for it, and they have the lovely language thing going too!

Sounds like you had a blast!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

People watching can really turn up the stangest things! I love doing that at the airport and down in Hollywood!