Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Go Mom!


Now this is what I am talking about.....Tuesday, Frank and I went to Auburn to do some shopping.  We needed some new pots and pans to go with my new Kitchen Aid mixer and toaster.  We had several places we were going to stop and one of them was for lunch at Moe's in Tigertown.  As we left Lowe's and stopped at the light I saw a mom sitting in a chair and three young teens standing in front of her holding up a sign.  As we drove past I was surprised to see what the signs read: "I got caught sneaking out smoking cigarettes & weed. This is my punishment". I wanted to get out of my car and shake this mother's hand.   Go mom!!!  Here was a mom enjoying a day in the sun while her three youth (around age 13) paid for their crime.  As a high school teacher I see so many things kids do that they shouldn't and it bothers me.  Several years ago a good friend of mine's son came to the high school and she told me if I ever saw her son misbehave to let her know.....he fell into the wrong crowd and I called her and told her that he was hanging with a bad bunch.  I was reprimanded by her for judging this "nice" young boys...we never spoke again.  Parents need to realize that as teachers we see and hear all.  When I was young I always wondered how my mother always knew when I did something I was not supposed to.....now I know....she had her teacher telephone on....and listened.  When I became a parent I told my children to own up if they did something wrong....they knew I was a teacher and would find out at school the next day.  I would rather them tell me....then hear it from a student in the middle of my class. You would be surprised at what I hear....especially after the weekend.  But come on....honestly, do you think I have better things to do than tattle on your child?

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a great punishment. I hope it sunk in and they learned something from it!