Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Antietam

Last year I took part in the April A-Z Challenge and had a blast.  My topic last year dealt with travel and places.  This year as the A to Z Challenge kicks off, we have choices of topics, so sit back and  prepare for my adventure in alphabet land!  Frank and I are both battlefield/history buffs.  On our honeymoon we visited a well-known battlefield in Tennessee and we got a National Park Passport when we did.  I have been to several and so has Frank and now we do them together.  That is what sparked my topic choice this year.  I am doing a history topic and cannot wait to learn from other bloggers and from my own research.  There are so many places to go and so much to see.  I want to explore the United States and get to know this country.  I hope you will come along on my ride.  So let us begin!  "Oh the places we will go."

Today's letter is A:  Antietam is the piece of history being addressed today.  What do you know about Antietam?  Did you know that it was the bloodiest one day battle in American History.  On that  one single day......23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862. The Battle of Antietam ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia's first invasion into the North and led to Abraham Lincoln's issuance of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.  I think that is some pretty profound facts for a one day battle.  Don't you?

No comments: