Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hodge Podge and Poetry

Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge!  I really had not planned on doing Hodge Podge this week because I am doing the A-Z April Challenge but once I read the questions I had to join in....so there will be two posts from me today.  Everyone is invited to play along in the Hodgepodge here on Wednesdays...answer the questions on your own blog and then add your link when you click here. This is a very friendly neighborhood...thanks for stopping by!

Here are my answers to this week's questions~
1. Share one fun thing you did last week while the Hodgepodge was on Spring Break?
Worked....oh yeah....you said fun.  Last week was not the best week ever.  I was puny. 

2. April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story involving one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings did you ever wish you did?
I had a brother who died just prior to his 6th birthday.  It was a nightmare in my life.  I remember begging my parents to adopt another brother for me.   Christmases....all of them....would be my favorite stories.  I would have given anything to have him back.  I never understood as a child why he was taken from us and other families who had children they did not even love or want kept theirs.  Oh the thought process of an eight year old.





3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? How far will you go to 'buy American'? If you're not American insert your own country in the blank.   I was raised by a union dad.  I remember not being able to buy certain things when I was younger because someone was on strike.  Even today....I won't cross a picket line and I try to buy American, but it has to be what I'm looking for...if two items are essentially equal, then sure I'll buy American. That's not always what we find when we shop these days. The world is no longer a US-centered economy-it's global so competition exists on a much larger scale.

4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way?  My answers are very much like Joyce's today.  I too would say The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. If you've never read this book I highly recommend. Corrie ten Boom is one of my heroes. Her example of forgiveness in the most undeserving of circumstances made a huge impact on me as an eleven year old girl and is one I go back to often. This book has always touched my heart.

5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Do you find rainy days calming or depressing? When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today?  It has rained so much in Rock Mills.  On most of the rainy days I was fine with it and found projects to do or books to read.  Honestly though it depends on my mood. A day of rain after a few days of busy-ness is calming. A solid week of rain can get a little depressing.  I love some of the products of rain....flowers and green grass.
6. What's your favorite yellow food?  Corn on the cob, lemon pie, lemonade, bananas, cheese, crookneck squash

7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special.
 
Crossing the Bar - Alfred Lord Tennyson
 
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
It is special because he has been read at the funeral of several of my loved ones

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I too am participating in the A-Z April Challenge.  My word for the letter I is Independence.  What do you think of when you hear that word?  I ended up adressing two different concepts.  One dealt with the Civil War Battle fought in Independence, MO and the other was the word as in meaning freedom. 

No comments: