Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for Xenophobic

I could not find a Civil War battle that began with the letter X, so I looked for a Civil War X related word and found a perfect one.  The word is Xenophobic.  According to the dictionary xenophobia is the "fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners, or of anything foreign or strange."  Xenophobia is when people are afraid or hate another race.  This has to do with prejudice and slavery, the leading cause of the Civil War.  So in other words, xenophobia was a very crucial part of the war.  "Slavery was one major source of the tension between the South and the rest of the Union.  The primary reason for the secessions which began the Civil War was a disagreement over States' Rights:  constitutionally, how autonomous are the individual states?  The South feared that their autonomy would be weakened, slavery would be banned, and their economy and culture ruined due to laws passed by outsiders (more strangers) who didn't understand them or care to (xenophobia from the other side).  So yes, it did have something to do with the Civil War and with its aftermath.  The sad thing is....on all sides....it still does.

No comments: