Welcome to October and the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Everyone is welcome to play along today. Answer the questions on your own blog, then add your link at the end of Joyce's post so we can all come say hello. A lot of words here today so grab your coffee-
The leaves are just beginning to turn here, and after a rather windy/stormy few days several have fallen. We don't rake. There are not that many trees that shed. We have a leaf blower anyways.
This past weekend. The girls went out to dinner and the restaurant was cold enough to hang meat.
3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a class act, both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? Discuss.
Don't get me started on athletes as role models. I cannot talk about it without preaching. When you read about the abusive ones, the ones who abuse animals, the ones who get caught for drugs, etc.....It is a shame that actors and athletes seem to draw kids into their wicked webs.
4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why?
I have to agree with Joyce. I'm going with fall because that's when the ragweed blooms and ragweed is typically what sends my allergies into high gear. Ragweed and hay kill me.
5. The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are-
clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish(you know those fish that are caught in fishermen nets and thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (the new IT vegetable)
kaniwa-(essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling only with twists on flavor we're not accustomed to)
community supported farming-(farms operating with community support/membership)
Okay-so how many of the healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered enjoyed? Community gardening is something I think I would like to try. Clean eating is also something I have been introducing into my vocabulary and life....the rest you can keep.
6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu.
You were kind and oh so lovely.
7. What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it?
Frank has several craft shows and I am excited about them. He has really been working hard getting ready for this. I love craft shows and apple festivals. Look out October here I come.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
What is your favorite fall song? I have two....one is by Nat King Cole and the other is by the Mama's and the Papa's.