Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Watermelon Rind Pickles

One of the things I love about summer is watermelon.  I love the stuff.  My first mother-in-law used to take the rinds after we had feasted on watermelon and make the most wonder pickles.  They were awesome with ham, peas, anything.  They were so simple(even I can make them) so today while I was cleaning out some of my recipes and filing them in my recipe box I came across this and thought I would share with you all.
 
Ingredients
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 2 cups peeled watermelon rind ( I do mine both as chunks and as spears)....(leave a thin layer of pink), cut into 1 x 1/2 x 2 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 each of all spice berries
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 4 peppercorns
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
  • 1 long slice of fresh gingeroot
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds                        
Instructions:  In large pot, bring water and salt to boil over medium high heat. Add rind pieces and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Strain. Transfer rinds to a large metal bowl.  In saucepan, combine sugar, cider vinegar, peppercorns, cloves, pickling spice and gingerroot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 minutes, until slightly reduced. Pour over watermelon rinds in bowl. Place plate over top to keep rinds submerged in liquid. Cover and refrigerate for one day. Transfer to a glass jar and keep sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  It makes about 4 cups of pickles. 

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never heard of them. The peppercorns, cloves and ginger root sound like an interesting mix for flavor!