Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Clothed in Grace?

Most of my life I have felt  uncomfortable about myself? How about you?  I have thought many times that perhaps it was something I had done or said. Or just 'one of those days' when there seemed to be something about me that just wasn't right. My 'body language' said . . . 'I'm a mess." And anyone who cared to notice would have easily known I was not a happy camper.  Usually when I start a day out like this I am fortunate to run into a good friend. The first thing she would say was, "I have always loved that dress. It makes you look just terrific!" Terrific? Me? Her words, so full of friendship, made me stand a little taller. She was happy to see me. Just being with her made me feel better . . . and when I walked on, my mood and my day had definitely changed.  I have to ask myself though....why does it take someone else to make me believe these things about myself?  I know that God is like that friend. Grace is the dress that makes me 'look terrific'. I cannot put on that dress, unless I choose to go into my closet and take it from the hanger. Slip it on. And go out into the world clothed in grace. I seem to love hanging out in the dark places. I tend to love wearing the shabby, torn garments of sin. And then one day, a package arrived – Special Delivery! For me? I tear into it and there it will be . . . the most beautiful garment I've ever seen. Just exactly my size. Perfect for me in every way. The enclosed card said . . . Paid in full. Nothing is due.  That is the moment I think,"I love you so much, God." That is GRACE. It's tailor-made just for me....and for you too if you want it. It covers all of my 'sinful lumps and bumps' (and believe me....I have a few after Sunday's little spill)– and you know....I have never felt or looked as good. There is no other one like it, for it is mine.....all mine. Every single day it is renewed . . . as fresh as the day it arrived. Clothed in its beauty, I can  walk continuously in grace. Forgiven completely. The rag-tag garments of sin are no longer are stuffed into the dark recesses of my closet. Next time I go shopping.....and am tempted to buy something 'On Sale' . . . I only need to think of how it will look hanging next to the 'garment of grace.' I am notorious for keeping things that no longer fit.... do you? What keeps me....us from tossing them away? Could we be thinking that one day we might again want to put them on? Oh, I do hope not. I am really liking my new Garment of Grace.....Note to self: Clean Out Your Closet Girlfriend!  I feel like a song today.....I am going to put on my Garment...and I am going to Praise Him for all he has done for me.  Thank you Jesus!

2 comments:

maddie/cadesmimi said...

What a great post! I really love your analogy. I don't believe that I have ever heard it put quite that way before...Amen!

PS I hope your leg/ankle is better soon!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Wonderful post! Thanks. Hope you're moving a bit better each day.

And BTW -- you look wonderful!