Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Falling In Public


I got a funny email this week and my answer to the email question is what sparked my post today.  The email starts off by asking  you to choose one (and only one) from a list of eight desserts. It went on to tell you that once you picked your dessert you were to look below and see what psychiatrists think about you.  Sounds easy enough....right.  Well it really was dead on for me.  I looked over the list and my all time favorite is Lemon Meringue Pie so that was my choice....then I scrolled down below and saw what the response was for that dessert choice.  It was spot on.....and once I read the response.....I had my post for today....did you think this was going to be it.....oh no.....this one was too good to pass up.
Here are the responses to the desserts:  

1.  ANGEL FOOD CAKE -- Sweet, loving, cuddly. You love all  warm andfuzzy items.  A little nutty at times.   Sometimes you need an ice cream cone at the end  of the day.  Others perceive you as being  childlike and immature at times.                        
 2. BROWNIES --  You are adventurous, love new ideas, and are a  champion of underdogs and a slayer of dragons. When  tempers flare up you whip out your saber.  You  are always the oddball with a unique sense of humor  and direction.  You tend to be very
loyal.                                                                                                                           
3. LEMON MERINGUE -- Smooth, fun, &  articulate with your hands, you are an excellent  caregiver and a good teacher.  But don't try to  walk and chew gum at the same time.  A bit of a  diva at times, you set your own style because you do  your own thing.   
You shine when it comes to  helping others and have many friends.
 

 4.  VANILLA CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE ICING -- Fun-loving,  sassy, humorous, not very grounded in life ; very  indecisive and lacking  motivation..  Everyone  enjoys being around you, but you are a practical  joker.  Others should be cautious in making you  mad.. 
However, you are a friend for  life..                                                                                            
5. STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE -- Romantic ,  warm,  loving.  You care about other people,  can be counted on in a pinch and expect the same in  return.  Intuitively keen.  You can be very  emotional at times but a true person in every way.   You like to do things 
for yourself and help  others learn about  themselves.                                                                            
6. CHOCOLATE  CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE ICING-- vivacious, always ready to  give and receive.  Very creative, adventurous,  ambitious, and passionate.  You can appear to  have a cold exterior but are warm on the inside. Not  afraid to take chances Will not settle 
for anything  average in life..  Love to laugh.                                                                           
7.  ICE CREAM -- You like sports, whether it be baseball,  football, basketball, or soccer.  If you could,  you would like to  participate, but you enjoy watching  sports....  You don't like to give up the remote  control.  You tend to be self-centered and high maintenance.
8.. CARROT CAKE -- You are a very  fun loving person, who likes to laugh.  You are  fun to be with.  People like to hang out with you. You are a very warm hearted person and a little  quirky at times.  You have many loyal friends.   A  wonderful role model.      Gosh...I wish I had picked this one....If I had then my post would have been so much more different. 
My post took place during one of the hardest seasons of my life.  You see I prided myself in being successful at what I do.  Yet, here I was at the end of a very bitter almost 25 year marriage feeling as if God was even disappointed in me. I had failed at the most precious thing in my life.  I had failed at the vows I took as a young 20 year old and here I was nealy 45 walking out the door....of something I said for better or worse about.  I easily convinced myself that God had written me off his list, thanks to a little help from my old friend Mr. Satan.  All I had left was my daughter and my career.  I clung to them like a drowning man clings to a life perserver.  You have to understand, I sing in public and I speak in public (for school and for churches and women's groups)....yet, I hate to have unwanted attention drawn on me.  So here I was....I had just bought myself a 69.00 silk suit from the Chadwicks catalogue and was feeling a little stronger about my life and where God was leading me and I was feeling myself heal from the inside out....and then it happened.  I was teaching and so caught up in the lesson that I was not paying attention to  my surroundings.  I was really hamming it up in the classroom and began walking from the left side of the room to the right side...with my hands flailing, my mouth spouting knowledge, and my feet walking quickly..  Once of my boys stretched out his legs just as I got to his seat, I tripped and fell....and the silk suit and I slid all the way across the room....like a beached whale.  I ended up hitting my head on my door....rolled over to my side and thought...what do I do?   Within a split second I had to make a choice.  But what would that choice be?   I could start spinning in the floor and act as if I were break dancing, trying to work it into the lesson on Salsa dancing. I could act as if I were really hurt, become a drama queen, garner public sympathy, and let them carry me out, yeah....I was leaning toward this one.....and working up some waterworks to go with it.  What I decided was  So before my pride could get the best of me......I could take a huge bit of humble pie, chew it, get back up on my feet, dust my black 69.00 Chadwick's silk suit off, and continue the teach.  No one in the room made a sound until I jumped up....went TAH DAH....and continued to teach.  It was only after I laughed at myself....that my class nervously joined in.  I learned a lot that day.  Yes, I am a klutz.  I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.  I could never have been a prima ballerina....they would have never let me be the swan in Swan Lake....nope...I would have auditioned for the part of the Ugly Duckling.  After that one (of many) encounters with the floor I have never approached life, my job, my family, speaking, singing the same way again.  God will exalt us when we humble ourselves in His sight.  It is when we get a little too big for our britches and exalt ourselfs....that we find out pretty quickly how fast He can humble us..  My constant lesson here was that....on the bad days I need Him....and on the good days I need Him just as much.  So what kind of dessert were you?  My name is Karen....and I am a Lemon Meringue Pie.....for the Lord.  God Bless You Real Good Today!

3 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh what a great lesson! Unfortunately, I'm vanilla cake with chocolate icing so I won't be learning anything from it :)

Marti said...

I had a bit of trouble choosing. As much as I love chocolate, I do like carrot cake also, but in the end I went with my old standby chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Then I read the analysis, and it was so true. I am somewhat shy so some people think that I am cold, not true. I am creative, adventurous, ambitious, and passionate, and not afraid to take chances. I am always pushing the envelope and ready to try something new--definitely not an average person.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Howdy, my name is Nezzy and I'm Chocolate Cake with Chocolate icin'...for Jesus!!! Woohoo!!!

Funny how it suits me! Heeehehehe!

God bless and have yourself a sunshiny day!!! :o)