Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Voice

About the Book: The VoiceTM Bible translation is a faithful dynamic translation of the Scriptures done as a collage of compelling narratives, poetry, song, truth, and wisdom. The Voice calls the reader to step into the whole story of Scripture and experience the joy and wonder of God's revelation. Created for and by a church in great transition, The Voice uniquely represents collaboration among scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets, and other artists, giving great attention to the beauty of the narrative. The heart of The Voice is retelling the story of the Bible in a form as fluid as modern literary works yet remaining painstakingly true to the original manuscripts. This translation promotes the public reading of longer sections of Scripture-followed by thoughtful engagement with the biblical narrative in its richness and fullness and dramatic flow.

My Thoughts: After having read The Voice for the past two months I can say it is definitely a different take on the New Testament than what I am used to. As a Common English or New King James version lover it was a difficult read.  I believe that the purpose of this book is to present the New Testament as a fluid literary story while staying true to biblical manuscripts. The manuscript format makes it easier to read but the writers added statements that have been added into the test make it difficult to read.  Even though this extra statements are set apart by italics it was easy to confuse the factual for the commentary.  There were a number of liberties taken and so it is difficult for me to call this a translation and instead call it more a commentary.  I think it is something everyone should read for themselves.  Many people have difficulties reading the more archaic bible translations and may actually get something from this format.

Disclaimer:  This book was provided to me by Net Gallery Publishing Group for honest review in their bloggers review program.  All opinions expressed here are my own and were not required by the publisher.

No comments: